The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Best helmet for western/trail riding? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/best-helmet-western-trail-riding-53896/)

MuleWrangler 04-29-2010 04:27 PM

Best helmet for western/trail riding?

I have surfed around some and tried to find the answer to this and couldn't, so would appreciate any help you can give!

I ride Western and do some trail riding. I hope to be doing a good bit more here soon. The older I get, the more uncomfortable I get with not wearing good safety equipment and am very interested in getting a good helmet for riding in.

Is there a helmet out there that is a good fit for trail riders? Something maybe with a snap-on brim or other shade device (would have to be reasonably soft, in case of a fall on it)? Cowboy hats are great for the shade but not for protection.

I have a bicycle helmet for my bike, a motorcycle helmet for my motorcycles and an SA racing helmet for my race car. Now I need a helmet for horse riding! Please let me know what you think.

Delfina 04-29-2010 04:32 PM

I have a Troxel Sierra and I really like it. The visor is soft and it's ventilated so I don't get really hot when wearing for long periods of time.

MuleWrangler 04-29-2010 04:51 PM

LOL! I found this: Western Hat Helmet - Horse.com

and was happy, until I read the reviews. Won't be buying *this* one!

MuleWrangler 04-29-2010 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delfina (Post 619645)
I have a Troxel Sierra and I really like it. The visor is soft and it's ventilated so I don't get really hot when wearing for long periods of time.

Thanks, Delfina! I do like the Sierra.

CiscoKidd 04-29-2010 08:59 PM

Hi!

I ride western and english, and I second the Troxel Sierra, I love it! well ventilated, and very easy to adjust.

yukontanya 04-29-2010 10:48 PM

Troxel Western/Cowboy Hat Helmets-SEE SIZES-In Stock - eBay (item 380174919582 end time May-04-10 09:17:24 PDT)

cowboy hat helmet

shmurmer4 04-30-2010 12:20 AM

Lol, I don't believe that I have ever seen a person ride western and wear a helmet.

Not making fun of anyone, or anything.. just saying.. ha.

kitten_Val 04-30-2010 08:48 AM

I'd go with whatever fit your head. :-) So far I found just 2 models (Troxel Orion and Spirit), which would feel comfortable on my head. Both are not western style, but I use them when trail ride as well. I also have very weak eyes, but those give pretty good protection against the sun (although I mostly go to the parks with lots of shade anyway).

trailhorserider 04-30-2010 02:56 PM

I have the same problem. I ride with a cowboy hat (well, actually an Aussie hat) because I love the shade. I wouldn't mind wearing a helmet, I actually think it would be smart, but the visors they give you are so tiny, and they don't cover your ears or neck at all. It's almost like I have to choose between a possible serious head injury and skin cancer! And I hate sunscreen on my face because it is so greasy.

(I'm in Arizona, it's sunny all-year-long. Ugh!)

PS. I almost fantasize about getting one of those hats that people wear when they are working in the rice patties, and sticking on top of a helmet. Viola, helmet AND shade, lol!!!

Pinto Pony 04-30-2010 03:10 PM

This isn't that much more attractive, but I remember in Australia I would see lots of people using things similar to this to create more shade while wearing a helmet.
Helmet Shades - suitable for Equestrian and Industrial Helmets. Also Oilskin rain gear and Australian hats.

I don't think there really is a specific helmet that is just western, but there are more relaxed looking helmets than black velvet ones. I have this...
Tipperary Sportage 8500 Helmet: Legacy Tack
I find it great for trail riding and schooling, nice and well ventilated, doesn't show marks when I scratch against trees etc, light weight and comfy.