The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Good Horse Books? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/good-horse-books-53909/)

Sonnyx12 04-29-2010 07:41 PM

Good Horse Books?

I am not sure if this should go here, but I didn't think it would go anywhere else.

So I love to read, and although I usually don't read horse books, a friend just bought be Chosen By a Horse and it was amazing! Such a great book! Not only all the horse details, but so many life lessons, it really made me open my eyes.

Does anyone else have any good horse books to read?

kmacdougall 04-29-2010 08:09 PM

Fiction - Dick Francis for sure.
Also if you're interested in jumping, foxhunting, etc, Shelley Peterson from Ontario wrote 3 incredible books - Dancer, Abby Malone, and Stagestruck (all follow the same characters). They're dramatic, mysterious, heartbreaking and FULL of horses! I loved them!

Sonnyx12 04-29-2010 08:29 PM

i have heard really good things about dick francis! i will have to check him out.

and shelley sounds perfect for me! thanks a ton!!!! :D :D :D

ShutUpJoe 04-29-2010 08:31 PM

True Horse Stories- Steven C. Miller DVM
Riding Lessons- Sara Gruen
The Truth About Horses, Friends & My Life As A Coward- Sarah P. Gibson
Horse Whisperer
Heartland Series

Sonnyx12 05-05-2010 05:01 PM

awesome! thanks you ill have to try those!

EventersBabe 05-05-2010 05:27 PM

canterwood crest or something :)
Chestnut hill

Sophie19 05-05-2010 05:43 PM

The God of Animals-Aryn Kyle-not really about horses but the main character lives on a horse farm, so there are a lot of horse scenes. Its beautifully written. The main character is a twelve year old girl who is dealing with the death of her classmate, her sister running off with a cowboy, and her fathers struggle to make their horse farm a success. I felt so much for the main character, she seems so real. The author really makes you feel the loneliness and isolation of this girls life. Its a really excellent book.

Flagstaff Foxhunter 05-05-2010 06:13 PM

The Hearts of Horses by Molly Gloss....wonderful story about a traveling female horsebreaker from a bygone era

Lonestar22 05-06-2010 12:21 PM

I loved reading the Thourghbred series. It has some 70 books in all not including the special editions and junk. I don't think they make them anymore..... but they were awesomely fun to read. It's about a girl raised on a small racing farm, then it moves on to her daughter.

MissH 05-06-2010 01:27 PM

The Horses Whisperer is probably my favorite book. Absolutely fantastic read. I just finished Sarah Gruen's Riding Lessons as well - that was pretty good.

Never heard of Shelley Peterson but will now go hunting for her books...always up for a good read!