The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Spurs? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/spurs-53963/)

HorseLove4ever 04-30-2010 01:24 PM

Spurs?

So my horse has to be the most lazy son of a gun ever. I'm able to get him going at the begining of the ride, but then he dies out. Then we start jumping and he gets all excited, and then the next time we go to repeat the course or line (whatever) i have to almost beat him to get him to move.
i usually ride him with a dressage whip and that will get him to go to a certain extent.
then i tried roller spurs. no reaction.
bigger roller spurs. nope.
Prince Of Wales. nada.
What type of spurs would you suggest?

gypsygirl 04-30-2010 02:49 PM

i would use a crop with a leather popper on it

kitten_Val 04-30-2010 02:59 PM

No offense, but are you sure he's not just "out of gas"? I mean no energy left. Some horses get so overexcited in beginning that loose all energy by the end (happens with my paint sometime).

I'm curious to hear responses too, because my qh is similar (she definitely on LAZY side though, she doesn't get overexcited in beginning, mid, or end :lol: ).

aintnocitygirl 04-30-2010 03:18 PM

Been there, done that.
I had a very lazy 3 year old & went through the same thing. You can definitely teach your horse to become more responsive... it just takes time, patience, & consistancy.
This is how I fixed my very LAZY 3 year old who would refuse to go into the trot (Use whatever type of spur you would like. I prefer the roweled spurs when it comes to a very hard, unresponsive horse.)
Start of at the walk.
Cue for the trot by squeezing your calves.
If no response, sqeeze with the spurs.
If no response, roll the spurs.
If no response, grab your whip/crop & rythmically slap his side (While continueing to roll the spurs on his sides).
Increase the pressure of the slaps until he responds. As soon as he hops into the trot, remove ALL pressure & give him a nice pat. He may lurch forward & trot two steps & slow down, but atleast he reponded & you want to reward EVERY try.
Eventually he should learn to respond to the lighter cues because he wants to avoid the pressure increasing.
Be P.A.T.I.E.N.T. Work on it at the slow paces & work your way up to cueing for the canter.
Worked for me. I definitely learned how to improve on my patience & consistancy with my lazy 3 year old. :lol:

HorseLove4ever 04-30-2010 07:59 PM

I can get him to go, he will pick everything up when i ask him to, but i just have to nag and nag and nag at him to keep him going. one day he was being super lazy, and i took my leg off for not even two seconds, and he WALKED down a line of jumps
ohh pumpkin.
*face palm*

ridergirl23 04-30-2010 08:04 PM

ask him to move forward of your leg, then take your aid off, if he stops, give him the kick of a lifetime. he should move off your leg, it sounds like hes just ignoring you, which is very rude. If you wear spurs, you dont have to kick him super hard, just enough to get him to give you a reaction. this might or might not work, haha, I havent ever been around a horse thats SUPER lazy. but always make sure you give him a nice small aid, and give him a chance to react to that. :]