The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Working Equitation (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/working-equitation-54058/)

koomy56 05-01-2010 09:14 PM

Working Equitation

Hey guys, I am wondering if any of you have heard of this event? We have just taken interest and have began mini-clinics to work our way up to this,
It has been extremely fun. What's different about it is that you do the same pattern, over and over, so that the horse learns the course and participate. So much of our riding in all disciplines sometimes makes the horses "robotic" if you will. This gives them a chance to play and think ahead, knowing what's next. :)

Brindles 05-01-2010 11:54 PM

Very cool! I'm always impressed with the horse-related things that Hispanic countries come up with. I would love to do something like that. :)

It reminds me slightly of Pablo Hermoso de Mendoza. Have you heard of him?

koomy56 05-02-2010 12:25 AM

Yeah for sure! Apparently working equitation originally was a non competitive test for horses going into bull-fighting. Certain obstacles test their bravery and others their maneuverability. And the concept of the horses working at controlled speed is needed in bull-fighting, where the horse remains in the aids and isn't in flight mode to save himself. :)

Silvera 05-02-2010 12:28 AM

That is really cool! looks like tons of fun :D I would love to try that, it's amazing how responsive that horse was...doing all of those things at a canter.

Brindles 05-02-2010 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koomy56 (Post 621716)
Yeah for sure! Apparently working equitation originally was a non competitive test for horses going into bull-fighting. Certain obstacles test their bravery and others their maneuverability. And the concept of the horses working at controlled speed is needed in bull-fighting, where the horse remains in the aids and isn't in flight mode to save himself. :)

Ah very cool! I know bullfighting is a controversial topic, but the video of Merlin on youtube is just jaw-dropping. So cool.

koomy56 05-02-2010 09:56 AM

When I watch Merlin I just put a hand over the poor bull. lol He is incredible.
One of the horses I've been teaching this to is starting to really get the hang of it. Last time we did it I was doing the gate and he kind of took over so to speak and I almost started to correct him but then I realized he was doing the gate by himself! It was really neat. :)

BoundAwayMercedes 05-02-2010 12:05 PM

That looks like a seriously fun class. It seems like it takes all the communication and skills of dressage, but is way more fun. I'd love to try it sometime, but I've never even heard of it nearby. Shame. Awesome horse though in that vid!

koomy56 05-02-2010 03:07 PM

You can set up your own course!
Working Equitation

Here is another video of the cow test portion of it. :D We're slowly working up to this, as many many of our horses aren't used to cows.