The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horse people (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horse-people-54236/)

Lovehorsesandrunning 05-03-2010 06:58 PM

Horse people

Do you know what makes me mad?I love horses, and i would do anything for them, anything! And my mom.. she like hates me riding, alot. She used to own a few horses because she lived on this huge horse farm, i dont know too much about it tho. Im not sure if she had a bad accident but she tells me theyre the biggest waste of money and your life gets to busy for them, she also thinks theyre dangerous. They are dangouros i know that but i dont care you have to take chances with things you love, and i would do anything to keep a horse id quit cross country track, intrument anything in a heartbeat for horses. I dont think theyre a waste of money, you get to ride them! and it is so fun and keeps you outside and responsible... now... i also know my mom hates horse people, but its just because of the ones shes met
Exibit A- my ex cousin( my cousins ex wife)- She bankrupt her parents because they kept paying for her 5 horses and for her to show and send her amazing horses to profeshinal training they didnt need, she didnt go to collage because she didnt want to go away from home, now shes kind of lost. thats not just because of horses, its her own fault AND her parents fault.
Exibit B- my old, old riding instructor- she went to collage but she went bankrupt to, its really complicated but shes a great person but doesnt always make amazing choices

Its not horses its just the quincedence of the people who are irresponsible so now its so annoying how bmy mom gets soooooooooooooooooo mad when i talk about horses!

Speed Racer 05-04-2010 03:33 PM

When you're an adult making your own money, you can spend it however you please.

If my parents thought something was a waste of money, they didn't support it monetarily, so I didn't ride as a child or teen.

Now that I'm an adult with my own job and mortgage, I make my own decisions on what to spend my money. Horses are part of that expenditure, even though my parents still think they're a waste of money, and dangerous to boot.

All horse people are crazy, but some of us are higher functioning than others. Many of us have little social skills, no business logic, and even less common sense, so your mom's definitely not wrong about that. It's not coincidence. :wink:

Alwaysbehind 05-04-2010 03:43 PM

What SR said.

And I have to agree with your mother - horses are a waste of money in the grand scheme of things. But a waste I am willing to continue doing. They are like any other expensive hobby. You just keep tossing money at it.

spin 05-04-2010 05:52 PM

I agree with #2.

Horses are a fun hobby, but an expensive one. It's a little bit sad that you mother not want you to ride, but when you being adult, you can have as many horses you want to.

ridergirl23 05-04-2010 06:03 PM

haha they are a waste of money, im lucky my mom loves horses as much as i do, and my dad,well, he only complains sometimes ;)

tehehe like speedracer said, we are all crazy, its like the dog show world, or the cat show world, theyre all crazy. haha :]

AlmostThere 05-04-2010 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 624487)
All horse people are crazy, but some of us are higher functioning than others. :wink:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm going to have to steal that and use it in my sig line. Brilliant :D.

Gidji 05-05-2010 12:12 AM

I feel for you. My mother used to have horses as a child, but she's not particularly horsey now. She never was. I found out off my grandma, she fell off once at a local show and she never went near horses since. My dad isn't too horsey either. He used to transport QH's for a reiner but thats as far as his experience goes. They help pay for my pony, they help pay for my lessons, they help with a lot of the expenses but for the main part I pay for it. Its frustrating when they don't understand and it often leads to tears from me.

Take today for example. My farrier does does quite a large amount of horses and travels all over my area, so he is only in my town every 2-3 weeks. He is coming tomorrow and he had lost my phone number, so I politely asked my Mum if she would call and book a time. She then went and checked her FB, watched some TV and I asked her if she was going to do it. She said no and when I told her my horse needed his feet trimmed, she said call him yourself. My farrier's hard enough to get a hold of on a good day, but if your a teen calling him, he doesn't have time.

My mother has no time for horses, and I often have to deal with things on my own. If horses are something you truly love, then its something that you'll have to pursue on your own.

SorrelHorse 05-05-2010 06:41 PM

Expenisve hobby....but for me, its a lifestyle. For a lot of people it is. You can have a job and still show your horse. Hell, when you get good they pay you back. And its a small price to pay for what you get back out of them.....The best sport. Physically and emotionally demanding. If you can do it, you're one hell of a determiend perosn and it shows how strong you are ^^

Deerly 05-05-2010 06:51 PM

A "waste of money"? Totally. The vast majority of people who spend money on horses are "wasting" it meaning its usually not an investment to get more money out of.

Vet bills, farriers, boarding, food, shavings, tack, schooling, everything adds up and you don't get that money back.

That doesn't mean it's not worthwhile!!! For someone who doesn't understand or feel the love and passion for horses it's difficult to get past the money hole aspect of the sport but it's a hobby that makes people who get into it very happy and is worth every last red cent to me!

Just like anything else you need to do things responsibly. There are ways to be involved in horses without going bankrupt or without going down the path of expensive showing. People can manage their money horribly with or without horses :)

equiniphile 05-05-2010 06:55 PM

Aww Sam, we'll work on her ;-) Give her a few rides on good old Artie, and she'll come around :)