The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   I wouldn't be surprised if we have a new member next week... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/i-wouldnt-surprised-if-we-have-54241/)

Fowl Play 05-03-2010 07:47 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if we have a new member next week...

who is here because her calm horse all of the sudden went psycho, and the when she called the vet out he said the horse was lame and normal...

Today one of my students told me that they sold one of their horses for $2400. Good for them...then she says that her step mom a vet tech at an equine hospital and her dad, a farrier drugged him to keep him calm, and that he had club food and laminitis. Apparently they never once said he was sound so they didn't lie, but they did show him at dusk in a tall grass field.

So some poor sucker bought a lame horse that was drugged calm and next week will have a total freak on their hands and they will have been screwed. The problem is, both parties are at fault. The buyer obviously didn't have a vet out (probably fell for the vet tech selling the horse bit) and didn't give the horse a thorough once over, nor did they ask any questions, or try to see the horse several times. I consider them just as guilty as the people that deviously sold a nutty, lame horse to a sucker.

SOOOO--if you're in the market for a horse, might I suggest a few things.
1. Don't think with your heart. Get a vet out,and consider a friend who thinks buying a horse is a BAD idea so they will try to find ALL the things WRONG with the horse to force you to think carefully.
2. See the horse in the daylight, on pavement, several times.
3. Don't trust the seller. I'm sure most people aren't devious, but if you go into it thinking they might be trying to pull something over on you, then you're less likely to get screwed. It's easier to say "I was so wrong about them" than to look back and say how stupid you were.
4. Think with you head, not your heart. Who cares if the horse is a rare color, or has a cute face, neither the color or the face is going to end up costing you a butt load later in medical bills.

Okay, I'm done, and I'm glad I wasn't the sucker.

Honeysuga 05-03-2010 07:57 PM

I would find the person who bought the horse and let them know before the horse and new owner get hurt...

Fowl Play 05-03-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honeysuga (Post 623676)
I would find the person who bought the horse and let them know before the horse and new owner get hurt...

That's exactly what my husband said. I might do some casual asking tomorrow to see if I can get any info.

NorthernMama 05-03-2010 09:09 PM

It would be nice of you to do so, but be careful. Word gets around and not always the way you want it too (ie. your reputation) You intend well, but if someone is slimy enough to sell a horse like this, they are also slimey enough to badmouth you.

And would the buyer have an out if they find out quickly enough?

AlmostThere 05-03-2010 10:33 PM

^^^^That.

Also, remember, what you have right now is hearsay, since you heard it form one of your students who did not perpetrate the act, and you were not witness to the act. How old is the student, by the way. If she is very young, your information source is even more questionable.

Was the horse sold as is? There may be nothing the buyer can do at this point, anyway.

Fowl Play 05-03-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlmostThere (Post 623888)
^^^^That.

Also, remember, what you have right now is hearsay, since you heard it form one of your students who did not perpetrate the act, and you were not witness to the act. How old is the student, by the way. If she is very young, your information source is even more questionable.

Was the horse sold as is? There may be nothing the buyer can do at this point, anyway.

She's a high schooler. We have a 72 hour return law in WA, and truth be told, I'll never be able to track down the buyer, no matter how badly I may want to. The buyer is partially at fault here, because they bought the horse without doing their homework. It still serves as a good warning for those who may be in the market for a horse...homework homework homework.

themacpack 05-04-2010 08:42 AM

While it is true they did not say the horse was sound and showed the horse in what seem to be deceptive settings, the buyer also has ownership in having purchased the horse after a very brief and poor viewing with no PPE or without ASKING if the horse was sound (thus putting them in the position of having to own up or lie).

Fowl Play 05-04-2010 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themacpack (Post 624144)
While it is true they did not say the horse was sound and showed the horse in what seem to be deceptive settings, the buyer also has ownership in having purchased the horse after a very brief and poor viewing with no PPE or without ASKING if the horse was sound (thus putting them in the position of having to own up or lie).

Yup. If nothing else, hopefully all who read this will learn to ask questions and ask someone who is more critical to come along. I always hate having my dad come with me to look at dogs, but I like that he's always trying to talk me out of it by pointing out all the things that don't seem right. When dad has to search hard and get nit picky, I know I've found a good litter. The same works when buying a horse...take a horsey person who can really look at the horse and tell you everything they see, and ask the questions you're to afraid to ask.

Alwaysbehind 05-04-2010 09:28 AM

I do not disagree that the buyer is some what at fault here. But I do not think they are equally at fault.

It is NEVER right to intentionally defraud someone. And there is no other way to spin drugging the horse.

A buyer should not have to assume the horse they are looking at has been drugged to the point of looking sound when it is not and to a totally different easy going personality.

Yes, I agree the buyer should have been more careful. But the seller is 80% at fault here!

I personally would fire these people as a client if I was their instructor. If they are that willing to be deceitful I certainly would not want to do business with them and I would not want them associated with my business.

Edit to add:

Curious, what did the advertisement for this horse say?

mls 05-04-2010 09:36 AM

A club foot is not something you can hide.

Honestly - I would take what your student said with a grain of salt. I can't think anyone would be so outright dishonest and tell anyone outside an immediate circle about it. Setting them selves up.

Maybe they are testing your integrity?