The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   trainers, what do you think (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/trainers-what-do-you-think-54297/)

wyominggrandma 05-04-2010 12:51 PM

trainers, what do you think

Okay, I am looking for a trainer to put a few weeks of "tuneups" on my mare. I have not ridden her for about 8 months due to the snow and ice here, it is finally going away. No arena or anything available until the ice rink that is the arena in summer is drained and the dirt worked again for summer.
Anyway, she is 8 yrs old, has had lots of good training, but want her worked on her leads, stops, etc before the arena will be ready here.
I had a 14 yr old girl reply to my ad, but of course as much as i appreciated her writing to me, I will not let a 14yr old work with my horse , one because she is a minor, and two, other than her mom, she could not give me references since once she is done training other peoples horses, she doesn't keep their numbers. I politely thanked her but said no.

So, am I asking for the impossible? Of course, I know I will have to take her out of my area to even find someone that has ground and not snow, but can't seem to find anyone.
Is a tuneup on an 8 yr old unrealistic?

kevinshorses 05-04-2010 01:18 PM

It seems realistic to me. I have a few of them scheduled for this summer. Just keep looking.

Alwaysbehind 05-04-2010 01:52 PM

A tune up for an 8 year old sounds like a wonderful smart idea to me.
Keep looking. You will find someone.

themacpack 05-04-2010 01:53 PM

I think tune-ups are actually pretty common, so I don't think you are being unrealistic at all.

huntergirl84 05-04-2010 01:53 PM

It is certainly realistic to find someone to tune your horse up, especially if you are willing to move her. I suggest you pick a location/city you would be willing to move her to and that you think may have some trainers and do some searching on the internet. Once you find some that you're interested in, call them up, get references, ask that you watch them ride (your horse ideally, but you can usually see what you need to see if they ride any horse).

You may also consider going to a show near you (or where you might normally show) to scope out potential trainers or maybe even asking folks at a local tack shop for some leads.

kitten_Val 05-04-2010 02:23 PM

I know at least couple trainers (one is very good) in my area who in fact post "tune up" in their list of training. So it's definitely not something unrealistic. I'd be happy to give you the numbers if you would be more close, but you are way too far... :D

Delfina 05-04-2010 03:08 PM

There are several trainers (real ones, not 14yr olds!) in my area (most have indoor arenas) who offer tuneups. It's something I looked into before committing to purchase my horse since we had snow/ice and a mud pit for an arena when I bought her.

I'm only 1 state away from you, I'll PM you the info on the ones I found.

wyominggrandma 05-04-2010 04:24 PM

Thanks, appreciate that. I know I will have to take her somewhere for a tune up, nothing here except harsh do it yourself trainers and I am not going there.

koomy56 05-05-2010 10:13 PM

Sounds like a smart plan!

ReiningTrainer 05-06-2010 01:29 AM

I do them every year

Yep, just finished two horses in for spring tune ups. Be prepared, however, to work with the trainer if they say it will take longer than you think it should. The horse needs to be legged up as well as started on a work program.