The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Loping Bareback? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/loping-bareback-54323/)

Equus_girl 05-04-2010 05:02 PM

Loping Bareback?

I love riding my horse Berdi bareback - she loves it too! I actually feel more secure at the trot bareback than in the saddle - she has a really smooth trot when I am riding bareback.

I've never loped her bareback though. I have heard that it is easier to sit than the trot when barebacking; however of course it is faster.

When did you learn to lope bareback and how hard was it to keep your balance?

gypsygirl 05-04-2010 05:06 PM

its a lot easier than the trot ! you should just go for it =] i ride bareback a lot & prefer it with most horses

themacpack 05-04-2010 05:11 PM

Does she have good brakes in place? If so, just try it - if you start to feel uneasy, put on the brakes.
I find it easier to keep balance loping than trotting.

Equus_girl 05-04-2010 05:43 PM

Sounds real good! I will try it. She stops really well for me. When she feels me getting a bit unbalanced she starts slowing down of her own accord!

paintsrule 05-04-2010 05:49 PM

Loping bareback is much easier. Its actually suprisingly simple and tons of fun. I love it. Good luck!

SorrelHorse 05-04-2010 11:00 PM

My balance is a total failure as it i, and trotting is harder for me than it should be. I then tried to be brave on Jester once and asked for a lope, and day-um I loved it! I don't like trotting bareback, but loping is so much fun! Just go for it, trust me....if I can do it, you can do it :)

EquestrianEmily 05-04-2010 11:11 PM

I learned to lope/canter bareback when I still took lessons. We had a bareback lesson. I like it alot, I think its much easier to ride to than a trot. Have you thought about trying a bareback pad?

TabianoPaint 05-05-2010 06:57 AM

haha i've never tried loping bareback either but when my QH mare gets back from the western pleasure trainer i'll def give it a try... especially because shes going to be a western pleasure horse :-) have fun and good luck ;) x

kmacdougall 05-05-2010 09:17 AM

Cantering or loping bareback is actually very easy. (Just don't wear track pants or something dumb and slippery lol.)
The horse's motion is actually quite easy to stay with and most horses are very relaxed bareback. I would say 85% of the horses I've ridden bareback will also pile on the brakes if they feel you slipping off. When I was young and dumb I would ride my gelding bareback in his pasture with no halter/bridle or anything, just hanging on to mane, because he works remarkably well off leg and seat. I used to get him to stop dead in his tracks by pretending to start falling off haha!

Pidge 05-05-2010 11:44 AM

Forget loping ive galloped bare back....tons of fun and if you can sit a trot you can easily sit a lope...unless she has a weird lope of some sort but im guessing she doesnt lol (a friends horse loped sidways cause hse litterally had a leg that was slightly shorter and stiffer lol)

You will love it!