The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Member Journals (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/)
-   -   My training journal.... (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/my-training-journal-54338/)

smrobs 05-04-2010 07:03 PM

My training journal....

Just thought that I would start a journal to kinda document my journey as I work toward getting horses trained for my customers. I started my documentary in this thread (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trai...addle-d-52279/) but decided to continue it here. The little Arab named Do-si-do from the linked thread is getting ready to go back home. I have a mare that I got from a member here that I am going to get started on tomorrow, now that I have some time and we're not receiving more cattle until sometime next week. Also, I have got 3 horses coming from Kansas sometime next week. I am about to have my plate full. 2 of the Kansas horses are from an old friend that my Dad used to train horses for and I just found out today that the horses they are bringing me are out of a full sister of the horse I grew up on. vv That is Buck. He was my faithful mount for years.
http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/i...P/EPSON013.jpg
They also want to give me a horse of the same breeding. He is broke and I think he is 6 years old but his feet are not good enough to withstand working all day every day on concrete and rocks like they do in the feedlots that these folks own. But, no harder than he will get used here and no more perilous than most of our ground is, I bet he will be fine here. Plus, a lot of our horses are getting older and it is always a good thing to have another broke horse just hanging around in case someone bows a tendon or bruises a foot.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling now that I have my journal started and I will be back with periodic updates.

Wallaby 05-04-2010 07:47 PM

Subscribing! I'm excited to read about your progress!

Erin_And_Jasper 05-04-2010 08:23 PM

Subscribing

MacabreMikolaj 05-04-2010 09:30 PM

Subscribing! :D

smrobs 05-06-2010 04:35 PM

WooHoo, had my first little mishap today. Like my dad said, you can't drive a new car and not get a ding in it so now I am officially broke in LOL. Just got back from the ER where I got my first stitches ever. Saddled a different horse today and found out that she is a bucker. She saddled fine but when I asked her to move, she did her best saddle bronc imitation and shouldered right into me. Down I went but fortunately, my forehead broke my fall against the pipe panel. I jumped right back up to keep from getting stepped on but soon realized that I couldn't see cause everything was red and that's when I noticed that my forehead was gushing blood. So into the house I came to grab a towel to try to stop the bleeding. So as soon as I grabbed a towel and rinsed the blood out of my eyes so that I could see, I headed back out to finish what I started. I finally got her trotting some circles around me without trying to buck and I went ahead and tied her head around to one side. Then I came in and sat down with the towel on my forehead. About that time, my Dad got home and was all set to play nurse for me when I went to the bathroom and actually looked at it. It was about 2 inches long and probably a half inch wide between my right eyebrow and my hairline and it was all the way down to bone :(. I don't mind having a scar but I didn't really want one that big so I opted to go get stitches instead of just taping it closed. So here I am with 6 stitches and a numb head and that mare is out with her head tied around again. I don't know if I will have a chance to ride her today or not, I have a dinner to go to this evening and I really need to wash all the blood and iodine out of my hair before I go. LOL. On a good note, DoSiDo is doing really well, he is a whole different horse now and doesn't try to spook as much.

Plains Drifter 05-06-2010 04:46 PM

Wow! Glad to hear that your ok.

speedy da fish 05-06-2010 04:53 PM

eek sound scarey! glad you were ok though

Erin_And_Jasper 05-07-2010 04:13 PM

glad your a-okay. pics of the stitches?

Plains Drifter 05-13-2010 07:43 PM

How's it going?

smrobs 05-14-2010 02:07 PM

Wow, sorry I haven't updated in so long, I been really busy. Between receiving about 500 yearling cattle and spending time over there going through them and helping brother brand calves, I haven't had as much time as I wish but I am progressing slowly. Kathryn is coming to pick up DoSiDo this afternoon and take him home. She came and watched me ride him for a while yesterday and was really happy. She is planning to turn him out now until later this fall or maybe next spring and then bring him back to be finished. After all, he is only just barely 3 and she can't compete on him until he is over 4 though she may wait until he is 5. The gray mare is doing pretty well, I have only had time to be on her a couple of times and she has tried to buck but hasn't really tried hard. Sorry no pictures at this time, when I am outside, usually anyone who takes my pix is busy elsewhere :?. Now that everything has slowed down a little bit, I will have some more time, I hope. I am expecting 3 more horses sometime on Sunday (along with a horse that is being given to me by some old friends). It is funny that I will be riding horses from the same bloodline, just 2 generations down, from the horses that my Dad was riding years ago. My head is pretty much all healed up and it doesn't look like there will be much of a scar. As opposed to going back to the Dr. and spending another 80 bucks to have the stitches taken out, I just did it myself the night before last. Still a little sore but at least I can get my hat on now LOL. For the first 3 days, I couldn't.

Anyway, that's my sad story ;p. I am remembering now that I have muscles that haven't been used in years and I am getting stronger and more in shape. I will try to keep updating more often since things are kindof levelling out. :D