The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Training for versatility... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/training-versatility-54366/)

CloudsMystique 05-05-2010 07:39 AM

Training for versatility...

I'm going to show my MFT mare in versatility classes in the future. The classes I'll have to do at the Celebration are:

- Western Pleasure
- English Pleasure
- Showmanship
- Western Horsemanship
- Trail Class
- Reining
- Western Riding
- Versatility Cutting
- Hunter Hack
- Hunter Over Fences
- Pleasure Driving
- Speed Event
- Ranch Conformation
- Ranch Pleasure
- Ranch Versatility
- Ranch Working Cow
- Ranch Roping
- Ranch Cutting

My question is... in what order should I teach her all these new things? Should I group similar disciplines together and teach her those, and then go on to another group? Should I do them one by one? Should I do them all at the same time, taking them all very slowly? I don't want to rush her, but I don't want her to forget how to do one thing while I'm teaching her another.

At this point, all she really knows how to do is reining and trail/obstacles.

kevinshorses 05-05-2010 10:58 AM

Don't you only have to do a certain number of events not all of them? It seems like alot to do and really varied.

CloudsMystique 05-05-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 625211)
Don't you only have to do a certain number of events not all of them? It seems like alot to do and really varied.

Hmm... On a different part of the website, it says you have to do at least six of these:

- Western Pleasure
- English Pleasure
- Showmanship
- Western Horsemanship
- Trail
- Reining
- Western Riding
- Hunter Hack
- Barrel Race

So I don't know what those extra classes are about...

kevinshorses 05-05-2010 12:06 PM

I would take out the showmanship (because I hate it) and the english classes and then train for the rest. Reining training will take you a long way in most of the classes. I'm not sure what the difference is between western horsemanship and western riding but one is probably more like a reining class and the other is like a western pleasure class with the focus on the riders equitation.

Break each class down into the elements and practice those elements at random.

CloudsMystique 05-05-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 625258)
I would take out the showmanship (because I hate it) and the english classes and then train for the rest. Reining training will take you a long way in most of the classes. I'm not sure what the difference is between western horsemanship and western riding but one is probably more like a reining class and the other is like a western pleasure class with the focus on the riders equitation.

Cool, thanks for the help!

nrhareiner 05-05-2010 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 625258)

Western horsemanship is judged on the rider much like showmanship is judged on the handler.

Western Riding is a pattern class that is about control with a lot of lead changes through a pattern of cons.

CloudsMystique 05-05-2010 03:27 PM

Okay, I got the info from the rulebook. There are five categories, and you have to compete in at least four of them.

Category 1 - Western Pleasure and English Pleasure
Category 2 - Showmanship at Halter, Western Horsemanship, and Trail Class
Category 3 - Reining, Western Riding, and Versatility Ranch Cutting
Category 4 - Hunter over Fences, Hunter Hack, and Pleasure Driving
Category 5 - Barrel Race, Stake Race, and Pole Bending

I'd like to do them all if I have the time, but if I don't I think I'll give Category 4 a skip, since HoF and Pleasure Driving will probably be the hardest to teach her.

And I have the score sheets, so you can get an idea of what they want to see in each of the classes: Missouri Fox Trotting Horse Breed Association - Versatility Judges Score Sheets

From the first list, I think the "ranch" classes are for a separate award - WGC Ranch Horse as opposed to WGC Versatility.