The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   HELP anyone ever seen this (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/help-anyone-ever-seen-54378/)

Chella 05-05-2010 01:01 PM

HELP anyone ever seen this

My horse has collapsed 2 times in the cross-tie. My AQHA 10 yrs old, fully collapsed about 5 months ago. Went down, calmly laid there while he was uncinched and got up was a little dazed. He was than handwalked around seemed fine and Vet checked him next day everything bloodwork and all- nothing. So yesterday the same gal that exercises my horses (who had been riding him bareback all winter) was getting him ready and cinched him pretty fast compared to me and hard and he went down to his front knees and we uncinched him and he stood up was fine. I cinched him up like I do nice and slow-walk a bit and than a little more. He was fine on the ride. 3 yrs ago the same sorta thing happened at the cinch he reared up breaking the cross ties in half - 2 times. Since than I always saddled him in the stall or cinched very slowly. Does anyone have any ideas. Pinched nerve? Hes fine if you go slow with it.

xeventer17 05-05-2010 01:15 PM

I know a horse with equine narcolepsy that has the same problem if cinched too quickly. It makes her fall asleep. That could be your problem.

tealamutt 05-05-2010 01:43 PM

there have been two recent threads about this- there might be some good info for you in there! Also, narcoplepsy is really rare in horses but it does happen and it does look like what you're describing. What is more common though is sleep deprivation. Have you noticed your guy getting some really good ZZZ's lately (completely sacked out on the ground)? If not, he could be sleep deprived. Have you had any major changes that would prevent him from getting his normal REM sleep requirements?

Chella 05-05-2010 01:49 PM

You guys are good! Those two ideas are exactly what the vet concluded. Would cinching him to fast make him fall asleep? What does it do suck the wind out of him? Great a narcoleptic horse! Am I going to have wap him on the head every so often as I ride :) just kidding but not that funny:(.

tealamutt 05-05-2010 02:02 PM

narcolepsy is a fairly mysterious disease in some ways. Any sudden exertion or surprise can cause an attack. I'm guessing this is where the fast cinching comes in. My friend who has narcolepsy loses all muscle tone when he has a strong emotional response. I used to make him laugh really hard to watch him fall to the floor (I was a bratty teenager, but he took it really well).

Chella 05-05-2010 02:07 PM

Omg! LoL! Great a huge spook will make him fall asleep?

xeventer17 05-05-2010 02:46 PM

Not necessarily. I know two narcoleptic horses. One of which spooked because he had fallen asleep. His spook woke him right up! (and destroyed a gait and fence board and had him swollen like a balloon for days >.>) It really depends on the horse.

Silvera 05-05-2010 03:01 PM

It could also be that his girth line muscles are sore. I have had a few horses that go down if the girth is tighted to much in the cross ties. In every case that this happend they where really sore in the girth line. If you run your hand down with pressure and the skin and muscle twitches it is a good indication of pain there. You can either massage it yourself or get someone out to do it for you. You can also use a hose with high pressure to massage the area.