The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Help! Mysterious soreness! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/help-mysterious-soreness-54413/)

Jumperpony 05-05-2010 06:38 PM

Help! Mysterious soreness!

So the vet has been out a couple times in the past week. My retired mare 16 yr old TB off the track suddenly became very sore and stiff. There was no incident, no swelling, no signs of anything. She is eating drinking everything else normally. She is stiff and sore in most of her body even with Anafen( pain med/antinflammatory and bute.We have run full bloodwork, ultrasounded, treated with antibiotics with no improvement. If anything she's worse! The vet is coming back out tomorrow. I was just curious if anyone has seen anything like this.

roro 05-05-2010 08:08 PM

Is it a soreness in her legs/hooves, or total body? If she is sore at one point, her body could be working and pinching in other areas to compensate, and thus she appears sore in a lot of places. Can you find areas of heat on her, particularly on hooves and legs? Sorry I can't be much help until I get a little more detail, what happened at the time and slightly before the time she got sore? How is her movement, is it a limp or a stiff joint appearance? What are her specific symptoms? How are her hooves, her saddle fit?

MyBoyPuck 05-05-2010 08:18 PM

Lyme disease?

riccil0ve 05-05-2010 08:42 PM

I would check her for worms, viruses, and bacteria. When people get the flu, it's quite often accompanied by body aches. The same thing happens with horses. If there is an infection, it can cause body aches too. What color are her gums? The whites of her eyes? Is she dehydrated? What color is her urine? Her manure? Is there any unusual discharge coming out of her nose? Are her eyes glassy or glazed over? Has your vet done any cultures or blood smears? Worms can cause a lot of problems internally to.

koomy56 05-05-2010 08:49 PM

Sounds like she needs a good session of bodywork. Do you know of any people around your area?

riccil0ve 05-05-2010 10:18 PM

Oh, and how are her feet? No foot, no horse. If even one foot hurts, it can make lots of problems everywhere else from compensating.

Jumperpony 05-06-2010 08:49 AM

Eating drinking normal, normal urine and BM's. ALL OVER BODY soreness.... mainly hind end..but sensitive in front and everywhere really,even on bute and other pain medications...Stiffness, All bloodwork was normal, uterine ultrasound for tumors etc. normal.Never had any back issues. No discharge.Lyme disease titre....STILL BEING waited on.However, from the literature and vets perspective with lyme most show some improvement by now. She is housed with my 6 other horses who are all fine. No horses in or out of our barn as we do not have boarders. On a regular rotating deworming schedule. Up to date on all vaccines. Gum's pink and healthy, drinking as she normally does. Screaming for her food as usual.No change in personality other than she doesn't want to move, and looks terribly painful when she does. She was not being ridden before this as she is retired, so tack is not an issue.We considered getting a chiro out, however the vet doesn't think its her back right now, and as she is at the moment she would definitely not tolerate that! Very wierd! Any insight would be appreciated, I'm not looking for a diagnosis here, I'm just looking for clues and wondering if anyone has seen anything like this.

Jumperpony 05-06-2010 08:53 AM

Oh! Feet and legs fine, no specific swelling, heat, inflammation anywhere! Has always had amazing feet. The day the vet was out the first time was running a fever, although eating and drinking normally. Hopefully the lyme titres will come back today and we can get some diagnosis when the vet comes back out to recheck her!

farmpony84 05-06-2010 08:58 AM

I wonder if something is out of alignment? My first thought was lymes disease and then Rocky Mountain Fever but with the she would be running a fever and have joint swelling I would think. Sounds like maybe something is out of alignment, or she may have hurt something up high (like the pelvis). What does she do when you ask her to trot or canter on the longe?

Jumperpony 05-06-2010 12:39 PM

She is so sore...that I can barely hand walk her..let alone trot or canter her. She's been going out for grass and handwalking only. She was running a fever initially(no longer present) but no joint swelling or pain. Has also been on Anafen which is an antiinflammatory/pain med, as well as antibiotics and is almost done her course of those... With minimal if any improvement. Very frustrating as her bloodwork is all normal and the vet seems totally stumped!