The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Finding horse professionals... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/finding-horse-professionals-54427/)

Deerly 05-05-2010 09:44 PM

Finding horse professionals...

I've recently rescued a horse and am living in a new area from where my family had horses in the past and so I can't rely on trainers/vets/shoers/etc that I had known before.

I found an excellent vet by asking around the barn and so far I really like him and have heard wonderful things from everyone I've run into (and have pelted with questions).

But when I've looked into farriers I'm having a much harder time. I am trying out a guy now who was recommended to me but none of the recommendations I was given came with unanimous approval/recognition. All of them went straight to personal (non-business) voice mail with several days before I got a call back.

Looking for trainers (unless you happen to be boarding at a specific schooling barn) seems even more difficult! All the trainers I've seen working with people where I board are a little too loud, arrogant, rash and obnoxious for my tastes.

In the age of the internet and technology why is it that the horse world seems so far behind!! It's hard to find people in your area and to know anything about them without wasting money with trial and error. I live in Los Angeles, not the middle of no where, and I'm completely confused why everything is so difficult to find reliably!

This is just a rant I guess but also a question if you've experienced similar problems and how you would go about networking and finding the BEST horse people in a sea of opinions that all contradict eachother or are fueled by over-inflated egos? :?

PaintHorseMares 05-06-2010 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deerly (Post 625747)
In the age of the internet and technology why is it that the horse world seems so far behind!! It's hard to find people in your area and to know anything about them without wasting money with trial and error. I live in Los Angeles, not the middle of no where, and I'm completely confused why everything is so difficult to find reliably!

This is just a rant I guess but also a question if you've experienced similar problems and how you would go about networking and finding the BEST horse people in a sea of opinions that all contradict eachother or are fueled by over-inflated egos? :?

The horse business is indeed still based on 'word of mouth'. Whether it's a vet, farrier, trainer, or breeder, the best ones around here have been in the horse business at least 25 years, never advertise, and wouldn't even think of going on the internet. Good places to 'network' are a good, old fashioned feed store, local shows (including 4H), or the local agriculture agent.

JumpsxGlory 05-07-2010 07:29 PM

What I would do as well as asking reliable sources (nicer boarding stables horse people that you trust) contact farriers/trainers that people recommend and then go and watch them work with the horses. You will often get a "feeling" about them and that should help a lot!

justsambam08 05-07-2010 07:43 PM

I've also found it useful to search for online groups (like this one) and ask for opinions there from other locals! I belong to two other than this one, and both have helped me a lot when I needed it.

Deerly 05-09-2010 04:52 PM

I really wish the horse world would get with technology! It seems like word of mouth and "feelings" is a good way to waste money and time on something that might not be the best approach, especially when it comes to health and well being.

Maybe not advertising but simply having an online presence would make everything seem more professional and connected and reasonable to me.

/rant

Edit: besides, in the horse world everyone thinks they know everything and have no problem talking for hours upon hours but I'd much prefer a more objective approach to finding and selecting who I want to work with my animals.