The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Padlock on Stables (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/padlock-stables-54459/)

Hannahl 05-06-2010 12:31 PM

Padlock on Stables

So there has been a lot of horses stolen in my area...my friend who lives just down the road also had 5 horses stolen the other night. My dad brought 2 heavy duty security level 11 padlocks to put on my stables and we have 2 on the gate. However i had a few worries about padlocking the door.....and after typing it into google everysite i came across said don't padlock stable doors. Why is this? I am worried about padlocking the doors, but more worried about the fact that my ponies might be stolen!

themacpack 05-06-2010 12:40 PM

If there is a fire or other emergency at the stable, those arriving to help will not be able to do so because they will be unable to gain access into the stable.

Hannahl 05-06-2010 12:42 PM

Okay but the stable it next to the house (it's just 2 stables for my ponies) So i would be the first on scene anyway. I'm just worried about the horse theifs, and the more security i have the better really.

Delfina 05-06-2010 12:47 PM

Our gates are all padlocked but that's it. We don't close our stall doors ever, they have runs attached so no way to padlock those.

We used large chains on the gates (wrapped them 'round and 'round before padlocking) so if you cut the lock, you're going to make one heck of a racket, removing the chain. Most of our perimeter fencing is metal panels so you can't cut through it quietly. We don't oil the gates to the corrals so they all SQUEAK.

We've had attempted horse stealings in our area, so it's a concern. Right now though I'm not too worried. My horse has decided that if you see someone with a halter you gallop madly around them for 5 minutes, squealing. Then you come to a screeching halt, walk over and shove your nose in the halter. So I'm sure we'd hear if anyone tried to take her. I can't imagine anyone would *want* our resident Pasture Ornament, she means the world to us but at 26 with arthritis that is obvious, she's not exactly prime "lets steal *that* horse" but she would very quietly leave or load into a trailer.

kevinshorses 05-06-2010 12:47 PM

The best way to keep your horses from being stolen is to brand them. Most thieves will not even try to steal a horse with a visible brand.

themacpack 05-06-2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hannahl (Post 626212)
Okay but the stable it next to the house (it's just 2 stables for my ponies) So i would be the first on scene anyway. I'm just worried about the horse theifs, and the more security i have the better really.

Unless you are home 24/7/365, you can't guarantee that - and if you are home 24/7/365 you wouldn't need the padlocks to prevent theft.

themacpack 05-06-2010 12:50 PM

Using security lighting, putting an alarm on the door (you can get inexpensive systems at any home store that will set off an alert inside the home if the "connection" at the stable door is interrupted by the door being opened), having a barking dog, etc are ways to alert you to an unauthorized entry into your stable w/out adding the risk of having the locks on the door.

Hannahl 05-06-2010 12:54 PM

They are only in there stables at night, and in the day out in the field but there is always someone at home during the day because my parents run a b&b. Is a good idea getting an alarm system for the door I might try and get that, thanks.

farmpony84 05-06-2010 01:41 PM

Don't padlock the stables. Put a gate across your drive and padlock that if you want, but not the barn.

roro 05-06-2010 09:30 PM

Padlocking the property is a good idea, the barn I'm at does it as well as many other barns in my area. Padlocking stables, however, is a safety hazard, there is no other way around it. Other people have mentioned security options, and you can also get your horses microchipped.