The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Halter Horse??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/halter-horse-5451/)

BluMagic 01-20-2008 09:43 PM

Halter Horse???

I am thinking about showing Blu in halter classes along with others. That might just take a lot of ground work and respect training. Anyways, I was just wondering if you guys thought that his conformation/color/etc. might drop him in the classes? Pleases and Thanks Yous! :-)

Also, anyone have any ideas for ground work respect?

BluMagic 01-21-2008 12:29 AM

BUMP..................lol

I Love Lane 01-21-2008 01:22 AM

hi Tye :lol: have a look at the comments i posted in critique on your boys conformation.

You should think about doing Showmainship with him instead of Halter - it is judged on your ability to show the horse rather then his overall conformation which IMO would be better suited to you both :D

BluMagic 01-21-2008 01:37 AM

Ya, I know he's not that great at all.

Well, I don't know how everyone else sees judging in halter classes but here in 4-H it seems to me that the judges mostly critique the handler: on grooming, positioning, movement, overall handling, experience, etc. (not trying to make excuses here)

Lyne, if you were the judge....what do you think Blu and i would place from just knowing us here? lol.

I just thought it wouldn't hurt to show him in halter as well as every other class I will do. :D

THANKS!

I Love Lane 01-21-2008 01:42 AM

I WOULD PUT YOU FIRST CAUSE YOU ARE A SUPER STAR!!!!! :P

BluMagic 01-21-2008 01:44 AM

lol that makes me feel great but self concious at the same time..... :shock: :lol: 8)

Harlee rides horses 01-21-2008 10:15 PM

Personally, I wouldn't show your horse in a halter class.

ZackLover1 05-13-2009 06:25 PM

I agree that showmanship would be better for you and i didn't even look at him...if you're looking for ground manners showmanship is how you get it, my horse is a perfect gentleman because of it, without it he might have been a bit of a goof...if you train him for showmanship you can always enter him in a halter class anyway (if you're going to go through the trouble of getting to the show you might as well...)and showmanship makes halter so much easier to make your horse look his best :-)

ZackLover1 05-13-2009 06:27 PM

oh and in terms of ground manner training...to start with have a bubble where your horse shouldn't be and stick to it, never let him in your bubble without inviting him in...if that makes sense...