The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Ahhh Crap. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/ahhh-crap-54527/)

MN Tigerstripes 05-07-2010 11:08 AM

Ahhh Crap.

I've gone and fallen in love. With a 3 yr old, unbroken, polo horse. Seriously I've spent the last 15 hrs telling myself that this is the LAST thing I need. In fact if I do get another horse, she is the worst possible type of horse!

Her name is Charlotte, 3 yrs old, bay with high black stockings, really neat looking star, and no other white on her. If I had to guess I'd say about 15.3 or 16.0 hands. Barely handled at all, just a little work when she was about 2 on haltering/leading/lifting feet.

Oh but I loved her movement, conformation (from what I could see, didn't have a lot of time), her attitude, and the look in her eyes.

But.... I don't have time (or the ability) for this.... Right? I need to (finally) finish Soda. Where am I going to put her? Until Flame passes I don't have room for another. And seriously, if I do get another horse when Flame passes I need a husband horse for others to ride.... not a unbroken 3 yr old. I doubt Soda is ever going to be wonderful for others to ride, besides I have to control my jealous/protective streak when others are on him.

ARGGHHHH!!! I wish I hadn't driven by and seen that she was out of the pasture. She came to me so willingly (cuz I'm smart and grabbed grain :lol:) and led so nicely, especially for a horse that hasn't had any sort of training....

Ahh poo. I just need to listen to my logical side.... Right? :-(

Speed Racer 05-07-2010 11:47 AM

Yes, listen to your logical side.

Normally I'm an enabler, but this horse at this time sounds completely wrong for you.

You don't have the time or space for her, and you already have an unfinished horse at home who needs to be your top priority.

Yeah, I can be a wet blanket sometimes. :wink:

Annaland13 05-07-2010 11:53 AM

I say go for it. Things like that make life exciting and worth living for.

MN Tigerstripes 05-07-2010 11:58 AM

I know you can SR :wink: That's why I was hoping you would respond. My logical side needs some support right now.

This needs to be my mantra: "I will not buy another horse before the circumstances and the horse are right. It isn't fair to them, me, or my current horse." *repeating* :lol:

Thank you for saying it.

Maybe I should make a list of ALL the reasons this isn't a good idea and look at it everytime I drive by.... Unfortunately I have drive by her 4x a week. :? Makes it harder to smother the illogical side of myself.

Speed Racer 05-07-2010 12:41 PM

Trust me, I fell in love with a picture of a horse who was in Oregon so I know where you're coming from.

He was for sale and I thought up all kinds of ridiculous scenarios of going to get him (with my 12 y/o truck and 35 y/o trailer), or paying to have him transported to me. I was in lurve and not thinking clearly.

I sent his pic to a friend whom I knew wouldn't pull any punches with me, and asked her what she thought.

She smacked me back down to reality. I didn't need the horse, I only thought I wanted him because he looked so much like my dear departed gelding (he did), and I already had a horse who needed my attention (I did).

I thanked her for the reality check, and promptly forgot about trying to make it work.

Even if it's the right horse, if the timing is all wrong and you have other priorities that need to come first, then you need to pass.

I had a twinge of regret but now I have JJ, who did come along at the right time and place in my life. If I had gotten the other horse I wouldn't have JJ, and that would have been the real tragedy.

Things happen for a reason. If we ignore those signs and force things to go the way we want, we usually miss out on the real opportunities when they come along.

themacpack 05-07-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annaland13 (Post 627071)
I say go for it. Things like that make life exciting and worth living for.

It is also how people get in over their head or become overwhelmed.

I know it's hard, MN, but let your brain do the talking on this one.

MN Tigerstripes 05-07-2010 01:16 PM

Thanks guys. I will be smart about this. In fact, I'm going to channel this energy into working with Soda even more and getting him finished this summer. I've got a couple other horsey projects I've been wanting to get done too, so I'm going to keep moving on them.

When the time and circumstances are right I'll find the next one and I'll be happy I waited. :D

PechosGoldenChance 05-07-2010 01:28 PM

If the circumstances were different, than I'd say go for it. But for now, you seem like you know what you should do, and that unfortunately is, to not buy her. It sucks man, I know. One day when you are ready for another horse, you will find a great project and you will be happy.

It's great that you're channeling your energy into your horse to finish him!!

AlmostThere 05-07-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN Tigerstripes (Post 627077)
I know you can SR :wink: That's why I was hoping you would respond. My logical side needs some support right now.

This needs to be my mantra: "I will not buy another horse before the circumstances and the horse are right. It isn't fair to them, me, or my current horse." *repeating* :lol:

Thank you for saying it.

Maybe I should make a list of ALL the reasons this isn't a good idea and look at it everytime I drive by.... Unfortunately I have drive by her 4x a week. :? Makes it harder to smother the illogical side of myself.

Repeat after me, "There will always be another horse, there will always be another horse." :wink:.

There is a country song out there with a great line in it, "Don't outsmart your common sense." You know it's a bad time. Listen to that when you have to drive past past her day after day after day....:wink: (oof, that has got to be tough - hang in there :D).

JumpsxGlory 05-07-2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN Tigerstripes (Post 627077)

I would suggest that you keep saying that and/or writing down ALL of the reasons why this isn't the best thing to do. It sounds like you already have an idea of why it's not, but maybe writing them all down will make it easier to not do it