The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Making Your Own Saddle Pads--Western? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/making-your-own-saddle-pads-western-54552/)

CharliGirl 05-07-2010 05:06 PM

Making Your Own Saddle Pads--Western?

I've seen countless people who make their own English saddle pads, so I was wondering why there aren't very many western riders who make their own pads.

I have a hideous black stained-lime green saddle pad with a slippery synthetic fleece bottom. The center, felt I think, is solid though. I have the sewing experience and a machine to re-create this pad, but I was wondering how safe it would be. I mean, my sewing machine isn't an industrial one or anything. Has anyone ever tried this?

kmacdougall 05-07-2010 11:27 PM

My thoughts are that western pads are either made of wool (think Mayatex) or very thick (like the fleece lined ones) and a lot of people don't have the expensive sewing machines to make pads like that.. And don't even get started on neoprene/Tacky Too pads. English pads are just usually layers of cotton and cotton batting that a normal sewing machine could sew.
I could be wrong, but that would be my reasoning for not making a western pad.

CharliGirl 05-08-2010 06:01 PM

I was thinking more of making a cover for the innards of my current pad...would that be dangerous to use?

ShannonSevenfold 05-08-2010 07:50 PM

I think you would be fine if you just plan on making a cover. I have several pads (Western and English) which I have made myself on a plain old sewing machine. The Western ones I have made have been thin felt on top with 1" or 1 1/2" of foam in the middle and fleece underside. My machine has survived just fine even through all of that. :D

ETA: You WILL need a different type of needle and thread.