The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Paint Question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/paint-question-54582/)

MacabreMikolaj 05-08-2010 12:27 AM

Paint Question

Let me tell you, as an Arab person, Jynxy has me worried :lol:

I know she's young and I know she's not fit, but her utter lack of stamina alarms me. I know she's going to be very different from my Arab, but I AM used to riding horses like Dove (Mustang/Appaloosa) or Justus (Welsh/Mustang/Appaloosa) and while they can't hold a candle to my Arab for sheer stamina, they have ZERO problems keeping a good pace on a long trail.

It only takes about 10 minutes of round penning/lunging or about 20 minutes of medium work riding (almost entirely trot, little canter, a lot of walk) to have her absolutely drenched in sweat and panting HARD. Even Eve, who's a Clydesdale/TB and the same age and fitness doesn't seem to struggle as bad - Shay-la works her probably harder, and she'll be drenched in sweat but not breathing hard.

Is this normal for a young unfit Paint? I have ZERO experience with the breed, her background is mostly racebred QH. The idea of her completely a 5+ mile trail ride at anything but a walk seems laughable.

Will her stamina improve with fitness? Or am I destined to walk everywhere to save her energy? :lol:

kevinshorses 05-08-2010 12:33 AM

Ride her hard. She'll toughen up.

roro 05-08-2010 02:32 AM

How's her condition, ie too thin or overweight at all? If the weather's warm, could her coat be too thick for her work?

MacabreMikolaj 05-08-2010 03:15 AM

She's hovered around ideal weight since I picked her up a year ago. She was worked quite consistantly all fall, and as much of winter as I could, but without a barn or arena, she would get sweated so fast, we had to be careful what we did. It was a lot of brief 10-15 minute rides with mostly walking and some jogging in deep snow.

I've also had her tie up on me once already which is just freaky - we barely did anything, it was as close to working her "hard" as I've come and it was still just 30 minutes of trotting and loping in a field with lots of walk breaks. She also doesn't get any grain, which is messed up.

I've questioned previously if she doesn't maybe have PSSM - but then I'd expect the tying up to be a regular thing instead of just once. I've started her on an electrolyte supplement regardless just to make sure it doesn't happen again.

PaintHorseMares 05-08-2010 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 627584)
Ride her hard. She'll toughen up.

I agree, these are working horses. Our mares are just pleasure horses, but I do a lot of hill work with them and they can easily do 20 miles of walking/trotting/loping with plenty of energy to spare.

SarahHershey 05-08-2010 08:59 AM

Even my so-so fit paint can be ridden for HOURS maybe even days before he gets tired, and gets that attitude like "mommy, can I go to my stall now?"

I find that really weird. Maybe you should look into her getting evaluated by a vvet before during and after riding, and see if there is an under lieing problem.

kevinshorses 05-08-2010 11:59 AM

If I had a horse that tied up after only 30 minutes of any kind of work I would get rid of that horse so fast I'd have to wait 5 minutes for the tail to catch up. It's managable even if it's chronic but it's still a pain in the butt.

riccil0ve 05-08-2010 04:34 PM

Keep in mind that some horses are sweaters and some aren't. Take my Paint, Ricci, for example. She has to be worked pretty hard to get a good sweat going, and even longer to really be out of breath. This is a mare I can go on a two hour trail ride that includes lots of cantering/galloping and a HUGE hill without working her a week or two prior. She's fine. Then there's Anna. She was a solid Paint mare I used to work with and if she so much as moved a foot, she broke out in a sweat. 10 to 15 minutes into roundpen work [at the trot] she'll be COVERED in sweat. I mean every last inch, from the tip of her nose, to her fetlocks, to the top of her big ol' butt.

You may always have to deal with her being a big sweaty mess, but you can certainly build up her stamina. Just push her a little harder every ride. =]

SorrelHorse 05-08-2010 07:55 PM

I agree with Kevinshorses. She may just be out of shape. However, I also know that some horses are just awkward with stamina at a young age. Try long periods of extended trotting to work on cardiac and such. The loop and walk are an easy gait, but the trot gets the heart pumping.

ponyboy 05-08-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacabreMikolaj;627634[COLOR=Purple
She also doesn't get any grain,
[/COLOR]

Why not?