The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Fox Trotter Mommy. Million Questions

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  ZiggyzMom 
#1 ·
Hello everyone

Im the proud new mommy of a yearling Missouri Fox Trotter. Im really new to the breed and don't know really where to start.

Does anyone know of any good books or websites for me to look for help to register him and all that jazz. I was looking on the official trotter website but its a bit more confusing then I though.

Any help or tid bits of knowledge would be greatly appreciated

#2 ·
Here is the Foxtrotter associations web page for new owners.

Down load and fill out the forms and return them to get him registered. (Owners of both the Stud and dame will have to sign)

Missouri Fox Trotting Horse Breed Association - New Owners

If he is already registerd you will normallly just get the past owners signature on the back of the registration papers and send them into the Breed associations. They will record the change of ownership and return the registration papers to you.

Most any book on gaiting will help you to understand foxtrotters, They are not that different from other gaited breeds, Except they have more of a tendancy to be more diagonal that some of the others.

A basic google search will give you dozen of website about the breed.

Here are a couple of quick finds
Foxvangen Farm - Missouri Foxtrotters A to Z :: Old Time Foxtrotters :: Foundation Foxtrotters
UFTHA: Welcome Page

Foxtrotter Gait Explained

#4 ·
"Gold Papers" mean parentage verified - the foal, sire, and dam have all three been DNA tested, and comparison done. If the sire and dam are already DNA tested, you would just need to get your yearling tested, get copies of the sire/dams profiles to send in with it for comparison. Not sure why you'd need gold papers unless you plan on breeding someday.

here's a link to the registration FAQ, you can get a lot of your Q's answered there:

Missouri Fox Trotting Horse Breed Association - FAQ

#7 ·
After owning paints & Qh's for 30 yrs. I bought my first gaited horse 2yrs ago a twh. Last year I bought my first Fox Trotter. I have had him a year now and you can't beat thier gait. You will never regret having one....:wink: Enjoy!!!

#8 ·
My Ziggy is a Missouri Fox Trotter.... He is registered. I can't wait until we can get back to his favorite - trail riding... he gets bored in the pasture. I've had a rough medical year... wanna get past it and this hot weather and ride. He is so calm and laid back on the trail. He shows others "how to do it". Happy going first or last... I just need more lessons on keeping him in gait. (We're both lazy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.