The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Extremely dirty horse!!!!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/extremely-dirty-horse-54691/)

Horseychick94 05-09-2010 11:21 PM

Extremely dirty horse!!!!!!

My horse likes to roll and he gets EXTREMELY dirty. He gets especially dusty. I cannot tolerate the dust flying around during grooming due to asthma and allergies. At the moment, it is too cold to bathe him. My brushes are cleaned very frequently and so are the horses. Even after several HOUR of grooming, my horse is still dirty. I have even groomed him until he got sore and he was still full of dust. My saddle pads are getting VERY dirty and as you can well imagine, it is a painstaking progress of grooming him if I want to ride. Is there anything I can do to to clean him/keep him clean without bathing or simple brushing? How clean does a horse have to be before you can saddle him up?

Amir 05-09-2010 11:43 PM

When you're able to bath him put a cotton rug on him when he's turned out. If he rolls, he's not going to get anywhere near as dirty as he would naked.
Wash the rug every few weeks as well to get all the dirt and hair out.

Horseychick94 05-09-2010 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amir (Post 628931)
When you're able to bath him put a cotton rug on him when he's turned out. If he rolls, he's not going to get anywhere near as dirty as he would naked.
Wash the rug every few weeks as well to get all the dirt and hair out.

okay. Are there any lightweight ones for the summer I can buy?

Amir 05-09-2010 11:57 PM

There's heaps of different rugs you can get.
During winter on my arab I use a cotton one and in summer I use a fly rug. There's also Jute rugs and that will act as a grooming tool as well. It makes them super shiny and removes loose hairs etc. I think that might benifit you a lot with your allergies and asthma not having to spent so much time grooming.
It's an Australia website, but that's what I'm talking about anyway
Horse Rugs, Jute: Buy online at Horse Supplies Direct

Horseychick94 05-09-2010 11:58 PM

OOOH! Thanks!!!!!

Horseychick94 05-10-2010 12:00 AM

So they can be turned out in the Jute rugs?

Amir 05-10-2010 12:03 AM

Yeah most that will happen is they'll get ripped but they're easy to fix and not very expensive if you need to replace them.

Horseychick94 05-10-2010 12:05 AM

Before I buy one I will see if anyone else has any ideas

Cyaeris 05-10-2010 12:55 AM

I had the same problem with my gelding. I threw a lightweight ripstop sheet on him after a bath or an intense grooming session and he never got as dirty!

I've used Jute rugs and they are BRILLIANT! I would recommend you buy one, they really help!

Kayty 05-10-2010 03:58 AM

Yep all you can do is chuck a rug on him. He'll still get a bit of dirt on his belly and legs but definitely won't be as bad as he is now. My boy is rugged head to to, and in the 2 months I've had him I haven't had to wash him once... and he's grey!!!