The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Lil help about old roping saddle plz (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/lil-help-about-old-roping-saddle-54751/)

mzfhredi 05-10-2010 07:39 PM

Lil help about old roping saddle plz

An elderly gentleman gave me his ol roping saddle today (:)) I have been trying to identigy it but the only marks on it is an MM stamped on the latigo keeper and the initials JCG stamped on the skirt??? Has anyone ran across this before? I'm tack illiterate, sorry.

aforred 05-13-2010 03:14 AM

It might help if you post pictures. :wink:

mzfhredi 05-13-2010 03:10 PM

Finally got some pixs

Fhredi Wiemer's Photos | Facebook

Just click on the word 'Next' to see all pixs.

aforred 05-13-2010 11:33 PM

Okay, this one has me stumped. It looks like the JCG is a custom imprint. I will try to find out who made it, though.

mzfhredi 05-14-2010 12:10 AM

Thanks so much for any help!! I had an older cowboy say that he thinks its an OLD Martin???

mzfhredi 05-25-2010 01:23 AM

If it helps any I live in Idaho. I swear the stirrups must weigh 5 or 6 lbs each! The saddle uses actual Blevins-brand adjusters, marked with the location of Wheaton, Wyo., and the original patent number 3,314,121, and they appear to be original to the saddle. I have posted more pix. There is a suede cover on the bottom that covers the fiberglass wood tree.

aforred 05-25-2010 02:14 AM

The fiberglass on the tree means that it's either not that old, or at some point the saddle was taken apart and the tree was dipped in fiberglass. I have seen this with broken trees.

I have a friend that knows saddles better than I do. I will show him the pix and see what he says.

mzfhredi 05-25-2010 09:43 AM

The saddle is extremely solid and weighs quite a bit. It just looks like fiberglass to me not sure what it is really. My Dad looked at it (he's 75) and he thinks its even older than his roping saddle he purchased in the early 70's. I'll have to ask him what he said about the tree cause I have forgotten. Thank you for the help!!!

mzfhredi 05-25-2010 04:40 PM

Got a flashlight out and went over evry area I could get to and no other markings except there is the word Texas or Texan on the bottom of the latigo keeper that has the MM on it. Got a better look at the tree under the leather and I honestly can't say whats covering the tree??? Maybe I can get a close enough pix.

mzfhredi 05-25-2010 06:20 PM

This is all I could find about the Blevins adjusters
Stirrup buckle