The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   How do I loosen up stiff fenders? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/how-do-i-loosen-up-stiff-54754/)

Fowl Play 05-10-2010 07:58 PM

How do I loosen up stiff fenders?

I am using my daughter's passed down western saddle that hasn't been used in a very long time. It's creaky and stiff and has such an amazingly soft seat! The problem is that the fenders (and hence the stirrups) are really really stiff. My knees hurt so bad at the end of the ride from trying to keep the stirrups turned out. Other than riding in it all the time, how can I go about loosening up the fenders? Since I only ride once a week I don't have a lot of opportunities to just break them in. Any other suggestions.

Polaris 05-10-2010 10:07 PM

Place the saddle on a saddle stand and wet down the backside of the fenders (some people use a spray bottle of water, some use leather oil). Take a common broom, such as a corn broom, and turn the fenders as they would sit if you were riding in the saddle.

Hold the fenders in that position and thread the handle of the broom through the fenders. The broom handle should hold the fenders in the riding position while they dry and help to mold them into a more comfortable riding position.

Another alternative are the pieces that you can purchase to place at the end of the fender.....they attach to the stirrup and actually swivel, thereby reducing leg strain from a stiff fender. Many catalogs sell them, so they should be easy to find.

Hope that helps. :-)

aforred 05-13-2010 03:16 AM

^^ Exactly. The only thing I would add is to condition the leather really well.

Fowl Play 05-13-2010 08:47 AM

My trainer suggested the broom handle thing too, so right now it's on a nice saddle stand with a pole (not a broom) through the stirrups. I've been spraying the inside of the fenders with water a few times. We'll see what happens.

iridehorses 05-13-2010 09:08 AM

First I would use a Murphys Oil Soap and water solution to clean and soften the fenders then I use this method to permanently turn my stirrups so that they are always facing front: http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack...tirrups-17669/

Fowl Play 05-13-2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses (Post 632103)
First I would use a Murphys Oil Soap and water solution to clean and soften the fenders then I use this method to permanently turn my stirrups so that they are always facing front: http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack...tirrups-17669/

Thanks. That was helpful. The saddle I'm using is actually my daughter's that she doesn't fit into yet so I'm a little hesitant to turn the stirrups at my length, because we'll have to shorten the stirrups when she grows another couple of inches. Once she starts using it, I'll definitely do that for her. It has really wide fenders and I don't think it was used much, even though it's 40+ years old. I'm going to add baby powder to all the creaky places this weekend because I get so sick of the creaking sound.

iridehorses 05-13-2010 03:56 PM

Shortening the stirrups should not change the twist since you adjust the length by raising and lowering the fender on the bar of the tree, not having your fender stay in the same spot and lowering the leathers.

Fowl Play 05-13-2010 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses (Post 632422)
Shortening the stirrups should not change the twist since you adjust the length by raising and lowering the fender on the bar of the tree, not having your fender stay in the same spot and lowering the leathers.

Gotcha...I haven't really looked at the underside that much to figure out how things all worked out.

WSArabians 05-13-2010 04:42 PM

I've always rubbed in baby powder to looosen stiff leather and it's always worked for me. :)