The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Wanting a shiny horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/wanting-shiny-horse-54773/)

Gidget 05-11-2010 01:42 AM

Wanting a shiny horse

I take really good care of my girl,gidget but her coat is still not shiny. I groom her all the time as well and only a bit of shine. Maybe she is dusty? I know people with some really shiny.glistening horses and want my horse to shine. My fiance's horse who is still putting weight on is more shiny than mine =S She's a chesnut/sorrel looking horse. Are some horses just more shiny than others?

roro 05-11-2010 01:47 AM

I've met some horses that just don't seem to shine as much as others, I think it is a combination of the hair type and color I suppose. For example, my darker chestnut shines like a penny without me doing much while another person who owns a red dun has to work her tail off to get as much shine on him. Horses with tight, short, "seal-like" coats are shinier than horses with thicker, shaggier coats. I'd recommend a nice, thorough, shampoo-included bath before you take any other steps. If that doesn't work, go heavier on the soft brush and consider feeding an oil such as CocoSoya. There are also special sprays and conditioners out on the market to make horses shinier, but my horse has sensitive skin so I try to steer clear of any unnecessary chemicals on his coat.

Deerly 05-11-2010 01:48 AM

You can try using leave-in spray conditioner on her coat and use a soft brush to get the extra dust off and distribute the spray. Any of the mane/tail/coat stuff works great. I love using that on m boy, he looks so shiny and clean! :D

There are also supplements and shampoos that work to improve mane/coat/feet that might help make her coat more lustrous. Unfortunately I don't know a specific one just for that off hand but I'm sure someone else will!

HorseRLife 05-11-2010 02:12 AM

My pony is shiny all year round. Some times it depends on the breed, TB's for instace are mostly ALWAYS shiny. Try mixing sunflower seeds or sunflower oil in to you horses feed.

Some heavery breed sometime dont get shiny. What breed is you horse? Picture would be good of your horse.

HorseRLife 05-11-2010 02:40 AM

Here is a picture(not a great one) on my pony Milly you cant really see the shine in pictures but you can see it a little bit it might not work though. So lets see how it goes.

Gidji 05-11-2010 03:00 AM

There are a few things that can help improve your horse's shine. A well fitting rug is one. Using a shine enhanced shampoo/conditioner and not excessively brushing your horse. I know it seems like the smart thing to do, but really it helps the horse. It keeps in the natural oils that help make their coat shiny.
But if she is completely dirty then brush her of course :).

Feeding a balanced diet can also help. My boy is shiny just on chaff, pellets, soy and hay. But he is naturally shiny. For horses that need that little bit extra shine, try feeding stuff like Copra, Omega3 Oil (its good for the joints too), Groom, Livermol. They're just a few products, but there are literally hundreds available on the market.

PumpkinzMyBaby22 05-11-2010 05:44 AM

I've also heard that feeding flax seed can help with the shinyness in you pets coat. I have a friend who uses it for both her dogs and horses. Not sure on how much you would want to feed a week, you should find it on the internet though.

Jacksmama 05-11-2010 09:21 AM

A few weeks before a show a friend swears by a capful of apple cider vinegar and a capful of corn/flax oil in the grain every day. Tried it one year and my boy shone like a mirror.

sarahver 05-11-2010 09:40 AM

It's almost 100% diet related. Black sunflower seeds are a great addition to help with shine, they will also make dapples stronger in brown and grey horses. There are also a variety of supplements you can add that work also, anything with biotin in it is good for hooves and hair.

kmacdougall 05-11-2010 10:54 AM

I used to buy jugs of canola oil at Costco and throw in about 4-6 tablespoons in their feed (never measured, just splashed it in) and I noticed a big improvement within about a week or so.
Most oils in feed will reflect in coat oils! :)