The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   What is your oppinion on this feed/hay? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/what-your-oppinion-feed-hay-54806/)

myhorsesonador 05-11-2010 05:45 PM

What is your oppinion on this feed/hay?

I'm looking into diffrent feeds, forage, and supplaments for sona and I came across hey. So what do you think? Any advice is welcome!

Lucerne Farms - Quality forage feeds, Seminole Feeds, Mainly Mulch.

myhorsesonador 05-11-2010 06:21 PM

Just bumpen it up!

myhorsesonador 05-11-2010 09:31 PM

no one? really?

Production Acres 05-12-2010 08:51 AM

1. wish I owned the company.
2. the product is for all practical purposes a good product.
3. the product works good in "box stores" like TSC because it is sealed and "clean" way to sell hay.
4. the product is probably very consistant
5. the product is a very expensive way to get forage to your animal

myhorsesonador 05-12-2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Production Acres (Post 631150)
1. wish I owned the company.
2. the product is for all practical purposes a good product.
3. the product works good in "box stores" like TSC because it is sealed and "clean" way to sell hay.
4. the product is probably very consistant
5. the product is a very expensive way to get forage to your animal

Do you know the prices on this? because I dont know. I was going to go to my feed store and ask. Thank you for your reply.

Production Acres 05-13-2010 09:34 AM

Southern States quoted $836/ton for Hi Fiber Gold.
You should be able to get a nice grass or alfalfa type hay for $400-600/ton retail in the ocala area.

I would not consider myself an eco tree hugger wrapped around Al Gores leg(far from it actually); however, putting 30# of forage in a bag and consuming an entire bag every two days is a lot of plastic consumption per horse. It is not responsible!

mls 05-13-2010 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Production Acres (Post 632119)
I would not consider myself an eco tree hugger wrapped around Al Gores leg(far from it actually); however, putting 30# of forage in a bag and consuming an entire bag every two days is a lot of plastic consumption per horse. It is not responsible!

I agree!

myhorsesonador 05-14-2010 01:33 PM

Yeah I think Im just going to stick with baled hay.

smrobs 05-14-2010 03:51 PM

I think it is a decent idea for someone with a very high level performance horse just so they know exactly what the horse is getting and it is guaranteed to be the exact same every time. However, many horses don't need the extra sugar provided by even 'low sugar' molasses. I thoroughly believe that many people overfeed their horse for it's needs and that results in founder and colic and insulin resistance and any number of other health problems. I think you should feed the feed that will keep them healthy and nutritionally balanced but without all the sugars and preservatives. We have been feeding alfalfa hay for more than 40 years (supplemented by sweet feed for the show horses back in the day). Been feeding strictly alfalfa for about 15 years with some occasional grass hay thrown in there and all our horses are fat and healthy. We've never had a problem with founder or colic since we stopped feeding sweet feed and our horses are living well.

On another note, this nearly caused me to crap and fall in it.
Quote:

You should be able to get a nice grass or alfalfa type hay for $400-600/ton retail in the ocala area.
It makes me happy to live where I do. I just got a load of really high quality alfalfa for about $140 a ton.

myhorsesonador 05-15-2010 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 633455)
I think it is a decent idea for someone with a very high level performance horse just so they know exactly what the horse is getting and it is guaranteed to be the exact same every time. However, many horses don't need the extra sugar provided by even 'low sugar' molasses. I thoroughly believe that many people overfeed their horse for it's needs and that results in founder and colic and insulin resistance and any number of other health problems. I think you should feed the feed that will keep them healthy and nutritionally balanced but without all the sugars and preservatives. We have been feeding alfalfa hay for more than 40 years (supplemented by sweet feed for the show horses back in the day). Been feeding strictly alfalfa for about 15 years with some occasional grass hay thrown in there and all our horses are fat and healthy. We've never had a problem with founder or colic since we stopped feeding sweet feed and our horses are living well.

On another note, this nearly caused me to crap and fall in it.

It makes me happy to live where I do. I just got a load of really high quality alfalfa for about $140 a ton.

Yeah tahts what I thought. I'm just looken at all my options. and I dont think hay costs that much around here? I'm moving to a new barn and I have to supply hay now. I just want to find whats best for her.