The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   just a question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/just-question-54820/)

WildBillCody 05-11-2010 10:48 PM

just a question

Let me start by saying i love horses! i think they are amazing. I joined this forum to ask some questions to help me on my way to maybe riding a horse someday. I am 6'4" and around 200-230 lbs depends on the hour...does that mean i am to large to ride a horse? I have NEVER seen anyone bigger then me on a horse much less anywhere near my size. I just want to ride a horse like for fun not competition. just casually maybe on a trail or in a pasture or on the road i dont really know i just would love to be able to ride one. any input is greatly appreciated. and im sorry for my lack of equine knowledge...

myhorsesonador 05-11-2010 10:51 PM

Oh yeah! you could ride. I'm 200 and I ride a QH. She has no problems carrying my fat butt around! :D

BTW WELCOME TO THE FORM!

WildBillCody 05-11-2010 10:54 PM

thank you very much for your prompt reply!!! I am so happy now! you made my day!

myhorsesonador 05-11-2010 10:56 PM

No problem!

rocky pony 05-11-2010 11:07 PM

Welcome to the forum! =)
Yes, that will definitely be no problem at all.
Just always be sure not to get too too small of a horse. That's something that applies to everyone who rides.
The general rule of thumb is that a horse can carry 15-20% of his body weight, but it does vary. Things like breed, body type, fitness level, and the condition of a horse's joints and back all need to be taken into account as well.
Here is a website with other ways to calculate how much weight a horse can carry:
Methods to Calculate How Much Weight A Horse Can Carry - horsetype.com - For all types of horse lovers!

Best of luck and happy trails!

WildBillCody 05-11-2010 11:11 PM

thank you very much!! i love this forum

rocky pony 05-11-2010 11:52 PM

It really is a great place! It has its issues, but I've tried several other forums and people just weren't quite as helpful or friendly as they are here. It really is a wonderful enviroment to learn and spread knowledge in.

WildBillCody 05-12-2010 09:24 AM

i just cant picture a horse other then like a draft horse carrying me around for any extended period of time..

Sunny 05-12-2010 04:28 PM

Plenty of options out there for you! :] My uncle is well over 200 pounds and he rides a sturdy Tennessee Walking Horse with no problems! Quarter horses are know for being hardy and stout, but I have seen all sorts of breeds carry people welllllll over 200! Good luck and happy trails. Welcome to the forum! :]
Posted via Mobile Device

equiniphile 05-12-2010 04:30 PM

The stockier horse breeds will lug 300 lbs around! You'll be fine =)
Welcome to the forum