The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Should I use a martingale on my pony? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/should-i-use-martingale-my-pony-54840/)

Horseycloe 05-12-2010 01:32 AM

Should I use a martingale on my pony?

Hi all! I have a pony called Spider. He is a 3 (turning four this year) year old Australian Riding Pony. Every time i hop on him he rears, and then all through the time i ride him he doesn't. He also bucks out to. So because he rears and bucks, should i use a running martingale? Or as some people call it, rings? Please no rude posts, i'm just asking for some simple advice...
Thanks,
Horseycloe

wild_spot 05-12-2010 01:51 AM

No.

Rings won't help you out with any of your ponies problems. He sounds like a right litte booger! I had a riding pony for a while who was such a cheeky little brat. They have such personality.

I have a few questions - Who broke him in/started him? How long ago? How much training experience do you have?

I would suggest asking a knowledgable friend, or trying to find a trainer, to give you a hand with him. Rearing is about the most dangerous habit a horse can have, and bucking isn't much better. It concerns me a bit that he has such severe issues so young.

Rings will only prevent him from throwing his head up - They won't do anything to prevent a rear or buck. Only you can do that.

Horseycloe 05-12-2010 02:08 AM

Yeah, i know how bad it is to having a rearing horse. I've ridden one before haha. But Spider doesn't have a habit of rearing, he only does when i first hop on. And i've been riding for 8 years haha. And Spider was broken in by Bill Church. I don't think u would know him, because it says on ur profile u live in canberra and i live on the Central coast :) And he was broken in in 2008, and i had broken him in and we had gotten as far as trotting (with a rider) but then we found out he was 2, so we let him out to grow and recently in November 2009 he got re-trained by Bill. Spider is a treat to ride, but he can be a little bugger some times. And Bill said "Spider is just full of bluff sometimes" so yeah, so the rearing thing isn't a BIG problem, he doesn't try to throw me off. I just thought buckers and rearers needed a martingale? I read somewhere that they should. Hm well, if i don't need to use one i'll forget about it :)
Thanks for ur help!

Horseycloe 05-12-2010 02:13 AM

Oh and if u go to this link you can watch how far we've gotten. The latest vid (which is called 'From Unbearable! To enjoyable!') has got me jumping him :)

Gidji 05-12-2010 03:32 AM

:\ Poor pony.

Horseycloe 05-12-2010 05:21 AM

What do u mean? He's not hurt. So what do u mean???

Horseycloe 05-12-2010 05:27 AM

Oh i know why ur saying that! No no, he can jump. R u saying 'poor pony' because he's jumping and he's turning four? His legs are filled and the trainer i took him to said he is perfectly fine and i can jump him :) So don't worry lol, i'm not silly. haha

Gidji 05-12-2010 05:28 AM

He's rising 4 and being jumped. Good gravy, please don't start eventing on him.

ChingazMyBoy 05-12-2010 05:32 AM

Have you looked at the way you ride? Is this affecting him.. If his that young should you be jumping him? Also you originally said you broke him in the first time, how old are you ? You seriously don't look old enough to be breaking in a horse.

Let me tell you this now, REARERS are DANGEROUS. I've delt with one first hand I've been riding since I was 2/3 and even I wasn't physacally capable of dealing with it. Although with help of trainers several times a week we are getting somewhere. Green horses and green riders don't mix. Would you like to see the sores to prove it.

kitten_Val 05-12-2010 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horseycloe (Post 631079)
Oh i know why ur saying that! No no, he can jump. R u saying 'poor pony' because he's jumping and he's turning four? His legs are filled and the trainer i took him to said he is perfectly fine and i can jump him :) So don't worry lol, i'm not silly. haha

Run from such a trainer. 3 years old and fine to jump! Heck, I just started jumping (little higher then yours) this month when one of my mares turned 6, other one coming 6 in Sept. While I don't think such little jumps (like one in video) to have a big impact, please, don't go to anything higher then that for at least another year or 2.

As for rearing and bucking, considering it's not a health issue (like back or tack) go for the -good- trainer who knows how to deal with horses like that.

BTW, martingale will NOT solve the behavioral problems like that, in opposite can make things even worse.