The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Stall Cleaning Help (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/stall-cleaning-help-54849/)

LadyRichards 05-12-2010 08:00 AM

Stall Cleaning Help

I recently had a barn built I have 5 horses, I stall at evening horses are in stalls about 12 hours, I stall during night. I am using pine shavings. My floor is dirt, I have two rubber matts in each stall up at the front of stall. I find myself spending half of the day cleaning stalls every day, I am also throwing most of the shavings away every time, I cant keep this up their has to be a better way, I have so much wet shavings that I have to take out, what else can I use that well make clean up easier, has anyone used sawdust from mills and is this better. I just clean, clean, clean, and the coast is getting out of hand help please.

maura 05-12-2010 08:06 AM

Do you have a fork made just for shavings? I'm really wondering about your cleaining techniques, as 5 stalls should normally take an 1 1/2; maybe 2 hours if you need to rebed/add shavings.

How deep do you bed the stalls? And what percentage of the bedding is wet?

Are you buying the bagged shavings? They're convenient, but incredibley expensive. You might want to look at buying in bulk for cost reasons.

Sawdust from sawmills is problematic as it is very dusty.

LadyRichards 05-12-2010 01:55 PM

Well I must say today only took me two hours. I am wreaking all the wet in to one area and taking it out instead of trying to save on shavings, trying to be cheap doesnt get it. Then I put in one or a half bag what ever I need to replace I also use the pellets on top of the wet areas before I replace beading, thank you.

LadyRichards 05-12-2010 01:57 PM

also putting down lime which helps very much on the urine smell and letting dry and air out before putting horses back in. Yes I do have a fork for shavings. I think im getting the hang of it, its just a little over whelming at first.

mls 05-12-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maura (Post 631130)
5 stalls should normally take an 1 1/2; maybe 2 hours if you need to rebed/add shavings.

I wonder what I am doing wrong. I can feed, turnout and clean 22 stalls - in under two hours.

equiniphile 05-12-2010 02:46 PM

Depends on how often you clean stalls, how often you strip them, and how often the horses are in them.

mls 05-12-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 631433)
Depends on how often you clean stalls, how often you strip them, and how often the horses are in them.

Every morning - thus the need to strip them 100% is very seldom.

Horses are in every night. 9 p.m. - 5:30 a.m.

maura 05-12-2010 03:24 PM

mls,

I was trying to be generous on the time. Also, looks like your guys are only in 8 and half hours. Still, I'm impressed that you can do it the fast - I usually figured 5 stalls in an hour, including dumping buckets and/or cleaning waterers. I does go a lot quicker when they're only in at night, but still....

Are you on mats with light bedding? Is that how you do it so fast?

justsambam08 05-12-2010 03:35 PM

I agree it did take me longer to do stalls when I first started out. It took me a 1/2 hour to do this one mares stall, she pees a LOT, almost the whole half of her stall was wet, and now I have it down to 15-20 minutes depending on the time of day? Either way its about 3 bucketfuls.

mls 05-12-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maura (Post 631481)
mls,

I was trying to be generous on the time. Also, looks like your guys are only in 8 and half hours. Still, I'm impressed that you can do it the fast - I usually figured 5 stalls in an hour, including dumping buckets and/or cleaning waterers. I does go a lot quicker when they're only in at night, but still....

Are you on mats with light bedding? Is that how you do it so fast?

Mats yes. Is a bag for a 10 x 12 stall considered light? I don't think so. Wet areas are cleaned, limed and left to dry. Shavings are done prior to p.m. chores. Very few buckets. If a horse drinks - they get a bucket. Since we have auto waters outside, very few drink inside.

I don't consider it fast. I consider it very efficient.

The horses come in to food in the stalls, doors are shut, alley swept and lights out. They eat and go to sleep. No pacing, no arguing. In the morning I feed the cats and the dog as the horses are getting up and stretching and then dump the grain. As soon as the grain is done, the horses are turned out by herd (we have three primary herds). All of our turnouts open into a paddock connected to indoor arena which is connected to the barn. I don't have to lead anyone. If they dilly dally in the indoor arena, I threaten to get a 'stick' (buggy whip). They understand my tone of voice and the majority of the time quit dinging around and get outside.

I've been cleaning in the morning by myself for almost 10 years. Definitely have a system since I have to leave for work (showered!) by 7 a.m.