The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Backyard breeding... It bugs me. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/backyard-breeding-bugs-me-54875/)

ShannonSevenfold 05-12-2010 03:07 PM

Backyard breeding... It bugs me.

Backyard breeding is just one of those things that is always there...bugging the crap out of me. :evil: I'm not against breeding horses. I just think that breeding horses with less-than-practical conformation and/or temperment is just a waste. Horses lacking good conformation and temperment are just too abundent. I came across this ad today:

QUARTER STALLION GRADE

Now, **disclaimer!** I am NOT posting this link so people can bash the people who posted it. I am simply posting it as an example. I don't see anything all too desireable about him, and I don't think breeding him to any mare would be wise on anyone's part.

Another example:
Down the road from where I board my mare there is a family who had two horses - a mare and a stallion. Supposedly, these are champion show horses, but I've never seen anyone ride them. They sit out there on their half-acre with halters on and do nothing. But that's off topic. haha. Naturally, the mare got pregnant. And had a colt. And now they have a stallion, mare AND 18 month stud colt out there...

*headdesk*

-end rant-
:-P

equiniphile 05-12-2010 03:10 PM

ughh yea agreed

MuleWrangler 05-12-2010 04:39 PM

In our area there are a lot of folks advertising their studs and they go on about how great they are and how awesome their babies will be. You look at the picture and the poor skinny, ewe-necked, cow-hocked, very-poorly conformed horse looks nothing like their glowing description. A guy in our area even has a stud that reminds me of a copperhead--all snaky and mean and poor conformation and he cycles him through all of his mares just as soon as they've dropped their last foals. It's really sad.

Speed Racer 05-12-2010 05:04 PM

The funny thing is that some of the people on this BB who rant about BYBs are doing the very same thing.

Of course, they justify it by saying they just want a foal for themselves and it's never, ever, nuh-uh going to be for sale. As if they have a crystal ball and know that they'll be able to care for the animal forever.

Breeding a mare because she's 'sweet', her owner says the mare 'wants to be a mommy', or someone wants 'a piece of her' to live on after she dies, are some of the more ridiculous reasons I've ever heard for breeding.

Breeding without any clue as to how the two individuals will mesh genetically and conformationally, breeding ONLY for selfish reasons and not with the idea of producing a superior foal, and looking for a stallion based on color or an inexpensive stud fee alone all make me want to rip out my hair. And yet, every day on this and other BBs, I see it numerous times.

Unless someone has a clear goal in mind for a particular foal with a particular breeding, then it's completely inadvisable and amazingly selfish to bring another horse into the world. Especially since we're already overflowing with fugly, ill conformed pieces of garbage that somebody just HAD to breed because they WANTED to.

Just because someone has a mare doesn't mean she needs to be bred, and MOST stallions need to be geldings. Not some, MOST.

Indyhorse 05-12-2010 05:16 PM

^^^ Couldn't agree more. You want a baby horse - buy one! There are plenty in need out there. People are giving horses away left and right just trying to get homes for them. I have 2 horses now that "were thrown in the deal free" when I bought my young colt (his dam, AND she was bred back before I got her, and just gave birth to a filly) because the owner had too many horses and not enough finances. But still had the mares pastured with the stallion to make more babies, WHILE she was having to give horses away. Geez, where the heck is your brain? BYB's, in both the horse AND dog world are a huge pet peeve of mine.

eventerdrew 05-12-2010 07:37 PM

Just for clarification- what do you consider a BYB?

ilovemyPhillip 05-12-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eventerdrew (Post 631669)
Just for clarification- what do you consider a BYB?

I was about to say the same thing....

lacyloo 05-12-2010 07:46 PM

...So does this mean that horses should only be allowed to breed in the FRONT yard?... http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...047whistle.gif

ShutUpJoe 05-12-2010 07:46 PM

Dogs and cats annoy me far more than horses. Probably because they have more offspring and produce at a faster rate. I think something should be done about the amount of puppies and kittens back yard breeders pump out into the world. Only reputable breeders should be breeding until there is a demand.

eventerdrew 05-12-2010 07:47 PM

and again I ask... what do you consider a reputable breeder?