The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Hoof Supplement (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/hoof-supplement-54998/)

Guppersmama 05-14-2010 02:40 AM

Hoof Supplement

Which would you suggest, or what tricks do you have up your sleeves. Our farrier said we need something in passing, I think he was talking to the horse not me lol, but didn't say if there is a certain one we should use

Appyt 05-14-2010 08:23 AM

Horseshoers Secret is a good one.

aforred 05-14-2010 11:25 AM

I buy a lot of stuff from Valley Vet Supply, so I looked at the website. There are 60 options under hoof builders. Appyt is right about Horseshoer's Secret, it's good. Farrier's Formula, Nu-Hoof Maximizer, Grand Hoof, H. B. 15, Command Hoof, and many others would all be good choices. I do recommend something that has biotin, amino acids, omega-3 fatty acid, and other vitamins and minerals, as opposed to just biotin. Most tack shop websites will have a lot of hoof supplement choices, and some have ratings and testimonials.

luvs2ride1979 05-14-2010 01:44 PM

I have had to put two of our horses on a hoof supplement to help grow out separation quickly. Source Focus HF has given me phenomonal results. Their feet are litterally growing nearly 1/2" a month! And the new growth coming in is very hard and tight.

The basic diet needs to be good to start with though. My horses are on free choice quality grass may (bermuda and local mixed), ADM's StaySTRONG Metabolic Mineral pellets, some chopped alfalfa hay and/or pellets, and Uckele's Cocosoya oil (2-4 oz per horse). Their diet is complete and very balanced (I don't use any feed or grains). Their hooves were growing pretty well without the addition of supplements. I just wanted to speed up the growth.

Guppersmama 05-14-2010 05:52 PM

Farrier liked his diet, He gets some free choice grass, couldn't tell ya what it is, but in FL we were lucky when we bought our property that it was all grass and not sand, but because he's not turned out into it 24/7 he gets hay all the time and its timothy. Feed wise he gets twice daily purina ultium because of its high protein fat and fiber content we were mixing it with omolene 400, but went back to beet pulp cause he hated it he gets a weight bulider, lytes and flaxseed as well. I'm gonna look in to some mineral pellets. I know the farrier wanted him on it because the p.owner never did his hooves and they are a hot mess at the moment and he said he can only do a little at a time.
Source Focus is one they sell around us, I've seen it before I think it has a seahorse on the front?

xdrybonesxvalleyx 05-14-2010 07:01 PM

Something I know that works really good is to feed your horses eggs several times a week. That protein goes straight to their skin and to their hooves and it makes them a lot stronger. Everyone I know that feeds them eggs doesn't even use shoes, their hooves are plenty strong.

luvs2ride1979 05-14-2010 08:05 PM

Horses are herbivores. I wouldn't feed them any animal product...

Yes, Source Focus HF does have a seahorse on it. I buy it in bulk, a 25 lb bucket from Big D's, but I have three horses on it. The small 3.5lb tub lasts one horse about two months. This would be a good supplement if you're feeding Ultium.

The StaySTRONG pellets are very high in nutrients and minerals. You use it instead of feed or if you're feeding less than 50% of the recommended amount of grain/feed. You wouldn't need to feed it if you're feeding a good amount of Ultium.

Instead of feeding a OTC mineral, I would call horsetech.com and tell them the hay and amount of grain your feeding (by weight), along with all of the other supplements, and they can tell you what minerals your horse may need. They do custom blends in their flax base. They can even make something to give you hoof improvement and weight gain, so you won't have to feed the weight builder and Focus HF. I have used horsetech.com's supplements in the past and was very happy with them. They have free shipping too. I just have too many horses now and needed to cut some cost corners.

2horses 05-14-2010 09:32 PM

I use Glanzen 3 for my horses. It has a flax base with biotin, copper, and zinc; so it should help with the weight, hoof, and coat. I am really happy with the results. My horses are shiny and barefoot, and my gelding finally got rid of a crack in his hoof that had lasted for months.

Guppersmama 05-15-2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvs2ride1979 (Post 633612)
I would call horsetech.com and tell them the hay and amount of grain your feeding (by weight), along with all of the other supplements, and they can tell you what minerals your horse may need. They do custom blends in their flax base.

I'm gonna look into the horsetech.com, I had never heard of them that would make my life so much easier when it comes to feeding and trying to read between the lines of every OTC product that's out there.
You guys are the greatest-Thanks:D

xdrybonesxvalleyx 05-15-2010 05:55 PM

Raw eggs are perfectly fine for horses. Just don't feed it too often, and put it over their grain. The major concern is just to not let it touch the outside of the shell, because that is where most of the bacteria is. Salmonella is definetely a danger factor, but so long as you're aware with what you're doing with it you should keep it good.

That, and be sure to clean it out instantly afterwards, because anything that's remaining will rot and attract flies, and that's not good.

Luvs2Ride--Eggs aren't like you're feeding them a turkey sandwich. Milk is an animal product too, and all mammals, herbivore or not, use that. At least taking all my research into account--eggs will do nothing but help a horse's skin and hooves, but they do contain some antivitamins so just not too often.