The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Look What They Did To Him **Chinga**

15K views 143 replies 40 participants last post by  iridehorses 
#1 ·
He was amazing again, I felt we were on top of the world. I felt he was my wonder horse. Now his ruined. My instructors coming out as soon as possible. But the "pony" I could do anything with, now won't even let me near him. Over the past two nights people have come into Chinga's paddock. The first night, they got into my tack shed and beat him with whips. We believe he was tied up, as he didn't run away. The second night they couldn't get into the tack shed, but they came back and terrirized him once again. The tack sheds are locked, everythings as safe as possible. But now I need to find somewhere for Chinga soon as possible.

Whats happening in the video:

1. His completely not happy and all I'm doing is holding a saddle blanket, he also kicked out and pawed a few times. Also tried to bite.

2. I flick a lead rope out gentally towards him proving I won't hurt him with it and he completely goes at me.

3/4. I walk up to him and he acts like this..

---

I'm so sorry this happened to him, I didn't mean for it too happen. We are doing everything in our power to stop this. I just thought I'd share and hope for some advice.

See less See more
#2 ·
Chinga oh my god im shocked your poor poor pony! Is there another field he can moved to for a few days until you can sort something out?? If not i actually would stay up and cath them in the act have an adult with you though as you dont know what kind of people they are!

Secondly your going to have to just build his trust again dont do anythng that will antagonise him as he could hurt you.

Please keep us informed of whats happening.

#3 ·
Yes. Exactly what you said are my plans, we are trying to find a new home for him * Not permidently* ASAP. But with everyone having their land already in use it is impossible. I don't think it will take long to build his trust again he learnt to trust me the first time pretty quickly, but the second time may be harder. We will get there though.

His "Hyponess" may also have a tiny bit to do with he hasn't been ridden in just under two weeks.

#5 ·
Bloody hell :S

Do you have a friend who would let you put him on their property for a while? I would set up a bit of a roster with your and your parents and have someone keeping watch during the night, see if you can get the idiots who are doing this so you can get the police onto it, film them in the act if possible. If you have video you have proof.

#6 ·
jeeze some people obiously have nothing better to do.
Poor baby! If you want to put him here for a couple of days I'm sure we could arrange something. I could always ask mum if you like. Poor baby.

#7 ·
oh.my.god
This is just horrible!
You havn't been having much luck with things lately have you?!
I hope you find somewhere else to keep him asap, and totally agree with Kayty with keeping watch over the paddock in the mean time.

It's going to take a good while to gain his trust again. Keep us posted

#8 ·
Thanks guys, not sure Jalah. He trusts no one at the moment so I can't put him in a paddock with Pumpkin since you guys will be going in and out and safty wise I just can't risk it. Also there is no grass in your other paddock. Correct? :S .

We've got 24 hour watch on the paddock. I will kick the arses of the people who are doing this to my baby. Don't worry Jalah its not a thing, we believe it has something to do with the agistment owners daughters ex-boyfriend..

#9 ·
I will kick the arses of the people who are doing this to my baby.
Don't worry Maddie, I'll be joining you :?
We do have grass in the back paddock now; it all grew back nice and well. Oh well, if you can't find anywhere let me know

#10 ·
Thanks :) It means alot. I just don't want anyone getting hurt. Aamelia's saying sell him.. But I think shes just worried. Its not his fault. We've gotten there once, we can get there again. I think a good, relaxing ride will do him good. But I'm not rushing getting on him.

#11 ·
Are you going to go back to the very basics of the trust. Like "sitting in the paddock with a bag of carrots" thing? You know I would be there right now with you, but yeah... he isn't looking to happy. And I do sorta love my head where it is ;p.

#12 · (Edited)
That's horrible, I'm so sorry. Are you positive they beat him?

The thing I saw in the vids was a horse taking advantage of you. You can clearly see that you're timid and afraid of him and he is clearly showing you that he doesn't want to work and he's going to do what he wants. He's chasing you because he's the herd boss. Running away won't help any problems.

With the saddle pad, you're walking up to him showing all your fear, He's picking up on that. You're also walking up too slow and too creepy, so he thinks "hell, I can get away with it if all I do is put my ears back and move my butt."

#13 ·
That's horrible, I'm so sorry. The thing I saw in the vids was a horse taking advantage of you. You can clearly see that you're timid and afraid of him and he is clearly showing you that he doesn't want to work and he's going to do what he wants. He's chasing you because he's the herd boss. Running away won't help any problems.

With the saddle pad, you're walking up to him showing all your fear, He's picking up on that. You're also walking up too slow and too creepy, so he thinks "hell, I can get away with it if all I do is put my ears back and move my butt."
I so agree with your first part. I'm getting my instructor out as I mentioned above (Shes coming tomorow). I had no experianced horse people with me and when he'd gone at me like he had with the fence (apart from no fence) I did not feel comfortable ignoring,ect his running at me. With the saddle pad. He prefers things really slow. One step at a time, I know that sounds stupid but he really does. What he had done previous times I'd walked up to him with the pad was completely kick out so I was warry of that. But as I said my instructor should be with me tomorow and from then on I should be a whole lot more confident with the situation. I just need some guiding. After the videos were taken dad did come out and having dad who is 6ft 4 around made me a whole lot more confident as well. I am not trying to deny, make up excuses or say you are wrong. I am just telling you what had previously/before hand gone on and a few other details. But overall if my instructor had been with me when he ran at me I would have been able to deal with the situation a whole lot easier.

#14 ·
You're really not having a good run lately are you. Just remember to stay calm & confident with him and to advance & release.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you know that went at him with whips? Did they leave them out? Not trying to have a go in any way, just curious.

#17 ·
aww poor boy. maybe my crop is bring all the bad luck? lol. i sure hope not. i must be cursed

#16 ·
oh ok. I was just wondering, I have had horses get traumatised by people in the paddock too. Its very hard to see the work you've done with a horse be destroyed by other peoples stupidity.

#18 ·
Maddie when you approach him with the saddle blanket, you look like you're about to ambush him. Try to approach with it closed, and casual, not like you're about to throw it at him. That may be playing a part in why he got so stressed about it. Try walking up to him casually, talking to him, offer him a carrot, then go about slipping the saddle pad on him.

I do have to agree with White Foot, he may be scared if being have stirred him up in the paddock, but he appears to be an aggressive/dominant type of horse in response to fear. Some will cower at the back of their yard, Chinga lunges at you with teeth bared to make you move out of his space.
I would go right back to basics as someone said above, just stand in there casually with a bag of carrots. Let him remember that you're not going to hurt him. If he didn't associate you with the pain and anxiety of being 'beaten' then it will be easier to get his trust back. I wouldn't even go near him with a halter at the moment, you want to make yourself look as 'friendly' as possible. However, when he lunges at you like that, don't bolt out of the way. He has won, he's driven you out of his space, that is teaching him that aggressive behaviour is effective. Of course we don't want you getting hurt, so it's probably better for a very confident experienced person to do this, but when he lunges, lunge right back at him. Walk towards him, get into his space and make HIM move away from YOU. Once he moves away, then you can back off and mind your own business. It'll make him think twice about lunging at you.

#19 ·
That is awful, horrible, terrible, and unbelievable. I cannot wait til you catch the idiots.

#21 · (Edited)
Why would you flick a lead rope at him while he is loose when you know he has had a bad experience with people hitting him with whips in the paddock? That does not make sense at all to me, either you were doing it for the reaction he gave so you could video tape it or you truly thought this was a friendly gesture. I don't know which is worse.

Your body language around this horse speaks volumes, you appear terrified of him. This is not the way to be around a horse that is slightly dominant anyway as the behaviour will only worsen. When you approach with a saddle blanket, do so quietly, confidently and try not to wave it at him. It should be folded and held at your side so he can see it but not be startled by it when it flaps in the wind. If you truly are this frightened of him it sounds like you could benefit from having someone else work him through these issues.

#23 ·
Why would you flick a lead rope at him while he is loose when you know he has had a bad experience with people hitting him with whips in the paddock? That does not make sense at all to me, either you were doing it for the reaction he gave so you could video tape it or you truly thought this was a friendly gesture. I don't know which is worse.

That looks to me like a gesture at self defense. The horse is already lunging at her when she flicks the lead - though she does say "she's trying to show him she won't hurt him with it"

Frankly if my horse lunged at me like that, I'd toss the lead out at him too

#24 ·
Maddie :( I just got home from work and saw this. Haul him down to NSW and I'll put him in one of our paddocks ASAP.

I do agree, that you need to approach him confidently. Your confidence and assertivenss will rub off on him.

May I join the kick-*** party who are gonna woop this $&$&%^*?

#25 ·
Sorry Maddie just a quick unrelated point I have to make. PLEASE don't tie any horse, particularly Chinga in his present state of mind, to a float that is not attached to a car. Have seen that happen before, horse pulled back, twine didn't break and horse pulled float across a paddock going absolutely off it's rocker. VERY dangerous thing to do!

#30 ·
Over the past two nights people have come into Chinga's paddock. The first night, they got into my tack shed and beat him with whips. We believe he was tied up, as he didn't run away. The second night they couldn't get into the tack shed, but they came back and terrirized him once again. The tack sheds are locked, everythings as safe as possible. But now I need to find somewhere for Chinga soon as possible.
These are very serious allegations.

What makes you think someone would just randomly pick your horse to terrorize?

If they tied him up and beat him, he should have whip marks. Does he?

How do you know 'someone' came back a second night and assaulted him?

Who is 'we'? You and who else believe these things happened?

With all the nuts in the world abuse does happen, but I'm skeptical as to why they'd pick only your horse to attack. Crazies usually don't stop with just one animal.

Have the police been called? If not, why? Breaking and entering is a felony and animal abuse is either a felony or misdemeanor, depending on where you live.

I don't see a 'terrified' horse in those videos; I see one who knows he can walk all over his handler.

#31 ·
When did he go from this:

ChingazMyBoy said:
Chinga, his my OTTB. Had rearing, bolting, bucking, spinning issues.

to this?

I felt he was my wonder horse. <snip> But the "pony" I could do anything with, now won't even let me near him.

#32 ·
I see that you are afraid of him to. Which in a way I understand. But that horse does not need that. Every time you act afraid of him he is going to get worse. I wouldn't touch him until a trainer has worked with him and you.

Weren't you going to sell him at one point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.