The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   omg!!!! what is causing this??? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/omg-what-causing-55005/)

XxemmafuriaxX 05-14-2010 08:25 AM

omg!!!! what is causing this???

i have just started doing classes and my instructor i always having to tell me off aboutmy left foot :? my toe goes outwards my right foot is fyn its just my left, im getting really frustrated!!! whats making it stick out? :-| has anyone else had this problem? my styrups are in the right place and the rest of my posture is fine, just my stupid toe wants to be a pansy haaha.
any advice is very very welcome lol thanks:D

Rule of Reason 05-14-2010 10:59 AM

It's your conformation. Just like horses, not all people are built perfectly. It just means you'll have to work harder to get that foot to behave.

Alwaysbehind 05-14-2010 11:04 AM

I would guess part of your problem is you are naturally stronger on your right side so you turn your left leg out in an attempt to squeeze with the back of your leg.

Keep practicing and you will become more aware of it and the problem will go away.

XxemmafuriaxX 05-14-2010 11:07 AM

aaahhh its so annoying and frustrating!! there are moments that i think my foot is fine and my instructor says emma your foot! it just makes me sooo angry lol also im thinking soo much on my **** foot sometimes i forget other simple things! like my leads and its just getting to me now!

horsegirlmaddy 05-14-2010 11:27 AM

Work on strengthening your ankles and legs on the left side. I've never had this particular problem, but strengthening the muscles definitely can't hurt. It's like Alwaysbehind said, you're probably compensating for your weaker leg muscles on the non-dominant side.

XxemmafuriaxX 05-14-2010 11:31 AM

i think my ankles just deformed hah my instructor took my foot in her hands and pushed it to wer it should be and it HURT! hahaha maybe i should just give up while im wining haha

HowClever 05-14-2010 11:37 AM

Do you have any history of ankle injuries. Previously stretched ligaments will not return the their original length/structure or whatever you choose to call it. I have had multiple injuries to my ankles so my ankles now automatically roll outwards. It causes even more injuries and also means I have to really focus on keeping my feet in the correct position. They always want to put the pressure on the outside of my foot, which gives me some really funky looking foot positions when I forget about it.

I'm trying to track down the article about the different types of ankle and their affect on riding position...

XxemmafuriaxX 05-14-2010 11:42 AM

no ive never broken a bone in my life ......yet! lmao(touch wood) ive tryed keeping it straight doing everyday things like when sat on a chair i keep it faceing forward, to see it i lack muscle strength on that side of my ankle... lol my instructor blames it on me riding in a western saddle for the last few months, as i feel safer on it when working with furia. i dont know i will keep you posted as i have a lesson in about an hours time ...

HowClever 05-14-2010 11:44 AM

Doesn't necessarily have to be a break, even something as simple as rolling your ankle can do the damage.

XxemmafuriaxX 05-14-2010 11:50 AM

well i do remember being told to walk properly as a child, as instead of walking heel to toe, i would walk from the outside of my foot to the inside. so maybe it is just something wrong with my feet, also my ankles colapse to the side alot becasue of the way i walk haha maybe i should be takling that at the same time haha