The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Inherited a clock (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/inherited-clock-55024/)

Lucara 05-14-2010 11:41 AM

Inherited a clock

1 Attachment(s)
So I've inherited a grandmother clock. I don't know a lot about it. I remember seeing it at my grandparents house when we visited but boy is this turning into a hassle!

Its currently located at my aunts house and shes giving me guilt trips on how shes so attached to the clock and doesn't want to see it go. I might feel bad if she hadn't sold or thrown out everything else in the house. The clock is all I have left minus a few other little mementos.

So far I've been quoted at $1150 for shipping and delivery. O.o That's a lot for a poor college student! We're looking into other options but I'm more worried about getting it here in once piece than I am about the cost.

These are the only 2 pictures I could find of the clock. The person in the picture is my mom when she was like 16! LOL

Alwaysbehind 05-14-2010 11:45 AM

I have always heard them referred to as a grandfather clock. Is there a difference between a grandmother clock and a grandfather clock?

It is very nice. I hope you find a safe way to transport it.

Lucara 05-14-2010 11:47 AM

Yeah its a size difference. Grandmother clocks are slimmer and within the 5-5'11" range. Grandfather clocks are thicker and 6' or taller.

Alwaysbehind 05-14-2010 11:49 AM

Interesting. I never knew.

kmacdougall 05-14-2010 04:06 PM

If you've inherited it, it's rightfully yours. The person who owned it wants YOU to have it. I'd tell your aunt its yours, and you're takin' it, one way or another.

Delfina 05-14-2010 06:19 PM

Oh wow, that looks just like my Mother's grandmother clock!

I have a grandfather clock (my grandfather hand-made it for me) and I've moved it a few times. Our last move was CA to CO, we took all the seats out of my mini-van, the chimes, pendulum and works were removed and wrapped in lint-free white cloths. We wrapped the rest in towels, then bubble wrap and laid it down.

Have you considered going and getting it with a Uhaul? Might be a lot cheaper and safer. I wouldn't allow movers or anyone else to touch mine.