The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Growth??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/growth-55034/)

qtrsnkids 05-14-2010 02:51 PM

Growth???

1 Attachment(s)
I have a buckskin filly dob 5/10/2007. For the last 6 months she has been 13.2 at withers, and 14.2 at hip. Any ideas on if she will grow into herself? She has always been this way, hip has been taller. She doesn't seem to catch up. Here is a pic, not her best.

smrobs 05-14-2010 02:58 PM

I am assuming that she is a Quarter Horse? If so, it is fairly common for them to be a little bit butt high though not quite that high. She is only a 3 year old this year and it is not uncommon for a young horse to grow in height until they are 4 or 5. I had a mustang that shot up another 2 inches in height after I started riding him when he was 5. Do you know what her parents look like? Are they both moderately downhill?

qtrsnkids 05-14-2010 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is one from when she was younger.

qtrsnkids 05-14-2010 03:02 PM

Her registered name AQHA is Ler Top O the Twist AKA Chevy. I have seen both of her parents, and either one of them doesn't slope like that. Both have great conformation.

smrobs 05-14-2010 03:19 PM

If both her parents have good conformation, then I will say that it is likely she will level out most of the way as she gets older. I won't guarantee it because you can never be certain how a horse will turn out until they are through growing, but many horses (especially QH) go through many fugly stages where they look like 2 horses stuck together and grow up to be really nice looking. I would just give her some more time and see if she starts levelling out. Horses will often take a pause in their growth for extended periods of time. I am just now finding that out. My 10 month old is 14.2 and has been for the last 2 months. I know one of these days I am gonna look at him and he will have shot up another hand LOL.

qtrsnkids 05-14-2010 03:25 PM

LOL thanks for the input. My husband says she has a "ghetto booty" lol

mom2pride 05-17-2010 12:31 AM

She's got a lot of catching up to do that's for sure! At three years old, she could definitely keep growing...I would hold off riding, until she catches up some, as that's a lot of weight on her front end.

mct97 05-31-2010 04:35 PM

She's just a baby. If both of the parents have good conformation, and she is not inbred, I would say that she will even out with age.

danastark 06-01-2010 12:39 PM

I'd say she'll even out, maybe be a little downhill in the end but she still looks immature. Try measuring from the dent in the front of her knee down to her coronet band in inches. That is supposed to be their adult height in hands so for example, my gelding measured 18 inches and he is 6 now and 18 hands.

qtrsnkids 06-01-2010 04:24 PM

Thanks you guys, Dana I will definitely try measuring her if the rain stops today. I will let you know the length.