The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Favourite Treats! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/favourite-treats-55134/)

ButterfliEterna 05-16-2010 12:16 AM

Favourite Treats!

What does your horse commonly enjoy as a treat?
And what do you find are non-recommendations?

ridergirl23 05-16-2010 01:09 AM

sugar cubes or carrots and always apples! rena is SOOOOO picky, some days she will eat sugar cubes, some days she wont, she will turn down anything except for apples and carrots,she never turns those down :)

aforred 05-16-2010 02:34 AM

I love carrots for getting my horses to stretch. My guys also love apples, and some of them think Pizza Hut peppermints are heavenly. (They have to be the Pizza Hut kind. I offered them two different brands I got at the store, and they didn't want those, but they never turn down the one from Pizza Hut, lol.)

I've used a few different commercially made ones, with varying success.

whiskeynoo 05-16-2010 04:57 AM

whiskey looooves apples, carrots, sugar cubes, digestives and polos, but she hates actual horse buiscuts

loosie 05-24-2010 10:29 PM

Hi,

I generally use the pelleted 'ration balancer' that they get anyway. Instead of just feeding it to them, I put it in a waistbag & dish it out in tiny handfuls/large pinches to reinforce behaviours during training.

Also often use leaves - apple & apricot & oak leaves are generally favourites. When there are wild rosehips around, these are enjoyed too. For Extra Special treats, I use diced carrot or apple.

Non-recommendations include sugar, grain, or otherwise sugary, starchy foods which are unhealthy. I don't see a point in using unhealthy treats when there're so many healthy ones to choose from, and many horses are extra sensitive & lami prone even with small amounts of 'junk food'.

Appyt 05-25-2010 07:57 AM

Some of my horses love peppermints, some love Peanuts. Our Pony Peanut loves to raid the cat food bowl. :( silly pony. I also stock Manna Pro Apple Wafers(a hard cube treat), they all like those. Otherwise carrots, apples, watermelon rinds, a small handful of Alfalfa pellets or even beet pulp. Heck they like to eat grass or leaves pulled specially for them by the grandkids too. lol

kitten_Val 05-25-2010 08:19 AM

Carrots, apples, and Dumor treats from TSC (those have almost no minerals/vitamins added). When I had some asian pears on pear tree last year I tried those (I don't like pears) and my paint absolutely loved them. I just picked one and she was biting pieces from it till the whole pear was gone.

Gidget 06-03-2010 05:21 PM

my horse likes ritz

ButterfliEterna 06-03-2010 05:29 PM

LOL. Mmm Ritz.

I've discovered for Cerra and the herd, those sour, green apples are their form of crack. Carrots are alright too. :)

loosie 06-03-2010 06:13 PM

Sausage rolls.... Yup, my donkey & old horse used to love them! Seriously, I wouldn't use them for treats tho - too expensive!<GG>