The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Pregnant Mare (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/pregnant-mare-5519/)

JustDressageIt 01-23-2008 07:03 PM

Pregnant Mare

I am taking on this pregnant mare to train.. and she's due in April (I believe) so I am just going to do basic groundwork with her until she foals, then start her after, and I have a few questions:

- when should I stop doing work with her?

- how far into her training can I get while she's in foal?

- when can I resume training after she foals?

- is there anything I should avoid?

I have read up a bit on this, but I want your guys' opinion as well :) Thanks in advance!

Ryle 01-24-2008 11:01 AM

As long as mare's aren't pushed beyond what they are used to, they can work right up until a few days before foaling.

As for when to return to training, for the first several months training is going to be pretty much out of the question because the foal will need frequent nursings and constant watching over. Mare's are generally too worried about their babies (and should be) during the first several months after foaling to pay much attention to training.

buckaroo2010 01-24-2008 09:27 PM

I have always been told to stop owrking an mare when shes is bout 3 weeks till the babys is born so she wont be tired or anything she will have her time to rest and workin her after the babys is born i would say about 3 weeks again so she will get use to the baby and everything..where I use to take lessons i rode this mare that just foaled about a month earlier so while i was riding her in the arean that baby would follow me on tha outside of the area it was so cute watching her :) :)

Vidaloco 01-25-2008 07:56 PM

Ryle always gives such great advice :)
I want to add that after foaling we started riding our girls for short jaunts. I kept a watch on my saddle and timed out 10 min. to start then went back to let them nurse, out again and back etc. working up to 15-20-30 min. away till weaning.

HoneyBun 01-25-2008 08:15 PM

well at my barn i ride i ride this wonderful pregno mare Ziggy <33
gosh i lvoe her
my teacher said that i should only rider her cuz it helps her back but i think [not sure] that she said to ride her at the most 1 month till her birth but im only walk, trot, and a little canter on her

JustDressageIt 01-25-2008 09:49 PM

Thanks everyone, it's really helpful, and around about the same timeframe that I was thinking.
Problem is, this mare is 6 and not started (as far as I know...) so I don't want to stress her out at all.

Any other words of wisdom would be much appreciated!

horseboundmom28 01-28-2008 01:15 PM

I find pregnant mares great to ride as for the most part they are very settled and a lot can be accomplished. I think a month is good, but have one mare that lets me know when she doesn't want to be ridden anymore. She just doen't want to go . Each horse is different. There are people who are more active up to due date than others. We give our moms a month or so to bond, once you see the foal starting to stray a bit on it's own, start working slowly as the foal get acclaimated to his mother with someone on her back, and stop to let them nurse. As time goes on that foal will stand and watch. We had one that at a couple months would go be with the other horses, but come time to time to check her out or nurse. Of course one has to be careful to not over do with the mare and use too much energy so she does not have the milk production for her baby. Frequent nursing is important. I think riding a mare with a foal is a good learning process for the foal.

Abby 01-28-2008 02:31 PM

My friend rode and worked with her mare right up until the week of her due date. Then she didn't work with her for a few weeks after her baby was born and then she was doing minimal work with her. Riding and working with her for only about a half hour a day.