The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   My horse stands weird (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/my-horse-stands-weird-55211/)

brodieluver26 05-16-2010 08:31 PM

My horse stands weird

my horse brodie has always been a lazy boy. he drags his feet, front and back, but the vet said he was not lame. Ive noticed now, that i started jumping, that his hind legs are faceing outwards when he is on the crossties. My mom said he has done that for a while before we started jumping...but ive just noticed it now because i put splintboots on incase he knocks a rail. Quarterhorses have thick ancles which would look swoolen if it was a thouroughbred...but im not sure. maybe he is lame on his hind foot.

I will put pictures up tomorrow of him hind feet.:?

justsambam08 05-16-2010 08:44 PM

My only thoughts, without seeing pictures, would be that he's pigeon toed.

Which means essentially his toes face outward--its a confirmation flaw.

riccil0ve 05-17-2010 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justsambam08 (Post 635342)
My only thoughts, without seeing pictures, would be that he's pigeon toed.

Which means essentially his toes face outward--its a confirmation flaw.

Pigeon-toed is when they point IN, if his toes are pointing outward, it's called toed out. =]

And I agree with that "diagnosis." It's likely a conformation flaw, no horse is perfect. However, I have no idea what this "swollen ankles" thing means. I have a QH with perfectly normal fetlocks compared to other non-QH's. o_O

justsambam08 05-17-2010 09:16 AM

LOL, its some bird! Pigeon, duck, penguin (haha now im imagining a horse waddling like a penguin)

Anyway, My TB sometimes gets swollen fetlocks, not hugely so, they just get a little warm and squishy on the inside after a hard workout, I guess thats the question to ask? What do his fetlocks feel like? Are they warm all of the time, or just after a work out, are they hard, squishy, swollen on one side more than the other?

He could be standing like that to alleviate some pain in his feet? Especially if he's putting all of the pressure on his heels.

themacpack 05-17-2010 09:22 AM

Depending on the severity, it could be that what you see as "lazy" is him avoiding movement due to pain caused by the issue.

Sunny 05-18-2010 03:18 PM

Possibly cow-hocked.
Posted via Mobile Device

ridergirl23 05-18-2010 07:58 PM

My guess would be hes cow-hocked, its jsut a conformation flaw, my old horse was cow-hocked, it never effected him.
:)

loosie 05-19-2010 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brodieluver26 (Post 635327)
my horse brodie has always been a lazy boy. he drags his feet, front and back,

Horses are often lazy, but dragging feet is a physical problem, not laziness. Could be as simple as a trim problem - farrier not doing a balanced job & toes too long for eg. or could be a number of other possibilities.

Quote:

hind legs are faceing outwards when he is on the crossties. My mom said he has done that for a while before we started jumping...
As others have said, it could be innately conformational - cow hocked or such. Also horses are naturally built slightly 'outsy'(the technical term!) in back compared to fronts. But it could also be due to trimming or some other prob. I caught above that you said "has done that for a while", which indicates maybe he hasn't always done it??

xeventer17 05-19-2010 02:58 PM

I'm leaning towards what everyone else is saying. Probably just a bit cow-hocked. How severe is it? Pics might be helpful.