The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   confidence (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/confidence-55252/)

mizzmoorfield 05-17-2010 08:35 AM

confidence

i started horse-riding when i was 6 and was jumping when i was 8, i had problems with my hip so i had to stop for 3 months:cry: i started again and got bucked off when i canterring it really shook my confidence. last year whilst i was on holiday i rode a gorgeous piebald cob called bob he helped me with my confidence a bit, i started horse riding again when i got back off holiday at the same place, i started on a bay pony called ben who started to play up when i started group lessons, he made my confidence drop a bit. my instructor noticed this and moved me onto issi who i used to ride when i was younger, i'm now on cindy but i tense up loads when were trotting i can't even canter now and i was jumping when i was 8 and i'm now 13 turning 14 in december, has anybody got any advice for me.:D

RawhideKid 05-17-2010 10:22 AM

Hi Mizz

I'm sure many here will have good advise for you, but if I can just touch on a couple things. One things for sure, when we get a little older...even a teen...a person becomes more self-conscious. Aware of their looks, people watching them, and things that can happen...good or bad...to us. Our imaginations can get away on us.

My suggestions would be to first make sure you ride a very reliable and docile horses which are fairly bomb-proof and easily controlable. But whatever horse you ride...concentrate on connecting with the horse from the ground, talking, grooming, walking (lead and feed), just loving on him and getting to know each other. Let a trust and comfort begin from the ground.

When actually riding, you of course need to start slow and keep in tune with where you are at in strength, balance, and your comfort zones. Let your passion and desire to ride or go faster stay in balance with what you are ready for.

It's like getting used to heights. It is as we get comfortable and confident in our balance and the security of what we are on...that we can go a little higher. And as we are concentrating on the task at hand, our direction, our enjoyment and controls...that we are not so self-conscious. And the connection you develope on the ground with your horse...you take onto the ride. It is a developing of TRUST. Trusting your horse, your ability and your relationship.

And try to keep things simple at first. All kinds of "techniques" and instruction can be confusing and confidence deflating. At any age ENJOYMENT needs to be a priority. It is not like you are out on the range with a boss to answer to in a high pressure job. Be careful who is teaching you too.

Hope this helps a bit. :D

RawhideKid 05-17-2010 10:43 AM

At different ages it can almost feel like starting over again because we have all these different mental and emotional and physical faculties to deal with. Don't worry about it, Mizz. There is nothing wrong with you. Be intune with yourself and your horse.

As they say about golfing... "play, swing...or RIDE within yourself". Know your limitations and ENJOY each step of the journey.

This may sound like "self-consciousness" too, but it is a constructive awareness, not vanity, fear or wild imagination. :D

mizzmoorfield 05-17-2010 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RawhideKid (Post 635812)
I'm sure many here will have good advise for you, but if I can just touch on a couple things. One things for sure, when we get a little older...even a teen...a person becomes more self-conscious. Aware of their looks, people watching them, and things that can happen...good or bad...to us. Our imaginations can get away on us.

My suggestions would be to first make sure you ride a very reliable and docile horses which are fairly bomb-proof and easily controlable. But whatever horse you ride...concentrate on connecting with the horse from the ground, talking, grooming, walking (lead and feed), just loving on him and getting to know each other. Let a trust and comfort begin from the ground.

When actually riding, you of course need to start slow and keep in tune with where you are at in strength, balance, and your comfort zones. Let your passion and desire to ride or go faster stay in balance with what you are ready for.

It's like getting used to heights. It is as we get comfortable and confident in our balance and the security of what we are on...that we can go a little higher. And as we are concentrating on the task at hand, our direction, our enjoyment and controls...that we are not so self-conscious. And the connection you develope on the ground with your horse...you take onto the ride. It is a developing of TRUST. Trusting your horse, your ability and your relationship.

And try to keep things simple at first. All kinds of "techniques" and instruction can be confusing and confidence deflating. At any age ENJOYMENT needs to be a priority. It is not like you are out on the range with a boss to answer to in a high pressure job. Be careful who is teaching you too.

Hope this helps a bit. :D

thanks it helped, my riding instructor keeps telling me i keep leaning to far forward which is why i tense up, but, i've just found out that my dad knows a lady who has 2 horses she needs help with mucking out and your general stuff u need to do to look after a horse, and excersing she's offered me 1 or 2 lessons a week which hopefully will help my confidence when i'm at my riding school.:-)