The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Vent - advice needed (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/vent-advice-needed-55255/)

Nickers2002 05-17-2010 11:14 AM

Vent - advice needed

Ok, I'll try to make this as short as possible.

My gelding, Nickers, has a very sensitive tummy. He has coliced at least once a year for the past 5-6 years. He eats too much, or gets very gassy, or in November's impaction case he didn't drink enough, etc. When he is going to be on grass for more than a normal day (ie: 24 hrs) he doesn't get any feed. We also add oil to his feed AM/PM and he has to wear a muzzle when he goes on a new grass field for the first 10-14 days per my vet and the hospital that we have visited twice.

Ok, so yesterday the horses went out around 8 AM and they were going to stay out all day/night since me and mom couldn't get there to feed due to a family party. No biggie, it was gorgeous out! Well, one of the boarders (Boarder A) who was going to help feed originally had called the BO (who lives on premises and was there last night thank god) on Thurs to see if she was still needed. BO told her no, the horses were just going to stay out. They would be fine missing one meal and staying on grass. Everything was ok.

Boarder A decided to show up yesterday anyway to see her horse. Well, one of the other boarders that was going to help never contacted BO like she was going to so she convinced boarder A that they were still coming in supposedly. Even though boarder A had spoken to the BO, she went along with the other boarder. Boarder A's horse and Nickers are in a field together with another horse. Boarder A brought her's and mine in and fed them both http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...flamingmad.gif She didn't add oil to his feed, and when the BO came out and went off she said "Well, just leave him in his stall then by himself in the barn if you're so worried" and left. http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...milies/mad.gifhttp://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...flamingmad.gifhttp://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...milies/mad.gif BO called me about 7PM last night and told me what happened, by now she had put Nickers back into the field and was watching him. I went up there to put his muzzle on just in case. BO also told boarder A that if anything happened to him - she would be responisble (everyone in the barn knows that he is a prone colicer)

Well...he coliced when I got there. Thank goodness it was just a lot of gas and resolved in 1-1 1/2 hrs with some banamine, but still. I would like to be reimbursed for my banamine as it was a situation that shouldn't have happened and a tube of banamine isn't cheap! How should I go about confronting boarder A? She is a friend so I feel bad (I know I know, it could have been a lot worse), and if I did have to call the vet she would have been getting the bill - but how do you bring up something like this?

Sorry for the novel! Help yourself to cookies and chocolate anything on me http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...forum/wink.gifhttp://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...es/biggrin.gif

Saranna

kevinshorses 05-17-2010 11:27 AM

You don't bring it up! Your horse is your responsibility and if he is that prone to colic maybe you should have left the family party and fed him yourself. You can't make your problem everyone elses problem too. If your horse needs special feeding then you better put that at the top of our priority list.

Alwaysbehind 05-17-2010 11:35 AM

I have to agree with Kevin.

Nickers2002 05-17-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 635815)
You don't bring it up! Your horse is your responsibility and if he is that prone to colic maybe you should have left the family party and fed him yourself. You can't make your problem everyone elses problem too. If your horse needs special feeding then you better put that at the top of our priority list.

The point is that he wasn't supposed to be fed last night and she knew that. I know that he is my responsiblity and he is at the top of my list. Why is it my fault though that a boarder went against what the BO had told her and endangered my horse?

None of the horses were supposed to come in to be fed last night...I guess I just don't understand why you're trying to tell me that if he needs special feeding I should have been there. It is a small barn and most of the horses there require some sort of special care :wink: We've been there for 6 years and something like this has never happened.

By the way, this is a full care facility. By me saying me and my mom couldn't feed I meant we help out on Sundays to give the BO a break especially since she is recovering from surgery. It's not a situation where we take care of just our horses. On Sundays we feed the whole barn, bring in, drop hay/fill water etc. Because the BO is still under the weather and we had my aunt's 70th b-day dinner - we all decided that they would be fine spending the night out.

Again - NO ONE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE FED LAST NIGHT. I'm sorry, but trying to put the blame on me upset me a bit. I was planning on going up and putting his muzzle on just in case anyway - but figured he'd be fine. The only special feeding instructions he has is to add a bit of oil to his grain - everyone that helps feed knows that. This boarder just decided to do her own thing.

Nickers2002 05-17-2010 11:45 AM

Again - BO had told boarder A not to do anything with the horses! I thought I had typed everything pretty clearly. Boarder A had absolutely no reason/permission to handle my horse last night period. SHE decided to anyway, so yes, she is responisble for this. Even my BO told her she would be responsible since she had already been told to leave the horses be and that everything was taken care of.

kevinshorses 05-17-2010 11:51 AM

You ask for my opinion. If it is a full care facility then the BO is responsible for overseeing the feeding of your horse. Regardless of her health if something had happened to your horse the BO would be responsible for it. Why does your horse colic so easily? It's not normal so I would start looking at ways to eliminate grain entirely and changing things so that he is not constantly in danger of colic.

themacpack 05-17-2010 11:59 AM

The problem lies in having released control for his care....both by you and by the BO (to whom you released that control). What may be a fine situation for a non-problem horse is not going to work for your's. Because you KNOW that he has this problem, you need to make it that much more of a priority to be SURE of his care - either by doing it yourself or being CERTAIN that the person YOU entrust is providing it. I know things happen, but once the BO starts delegating things out you need to step up and take the ownership for his care yourself rather than hoping for the best with others filling in the gaps - for just the reason that you saw play out. It's not always going to fit in with the schedule you would like to keep, but that is what comes with choosing to take on the responsibility of keeping a horse (or any other animal). Sometimes we have to prioritize and miss on the fun things in life to fulfill our obligations.
I also agree with kevin. I would be getting to the bottom of his condition.

Nickers2002 05-17-2010 12:02 PM

We have done everything that has been recommended by vets/hospital. 3 vets have told me that he just has a sensitive system and the best things we can do are being done. He isn't on a traditional grain - he is on Enrich 32, no corn/grain in it. He has also been doing very well on this. Normally he would colic with the new grass and he hasn't for 2 years. Yesterday was because he became overloaded between the grass and the feed (that's how he normally goes into a colic...he pigs out and then eats his feed and gets gassy, all but 2 of his colics have been gas colics and resolve quickly) One he flipped his colon and the second was his manure was too dry from not drinking enough and he had a belly ache trying to pass it. He also doesn't handle pain well - that doesn't help at all. It makes a little discomfort seem a lot worse with how he acts :rolleyes:

As far as the BO being responisble, normally I would agree. But the boarder had already been told by the BO not to touch any of the horses (except her own if she wanted to of course :p ). The boarder went against the BO and did it anyway. Is that still the BO's fault? As soon as she saw Nick missing from the field she ran out to the barn - but the boarder had already fed him.

kevinshorses 05-17-2010 12:04 PM

I wouldn't say it's her fault but it certainly is her responsibilty.

Nickers2002 05-17-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themacpack (Post 635841)
The problem lies in having released control for his care....both by you and by the BO (to whom you released that control). What may be a fine situation for a non-problem horse is not going to work for your's. Because you KNOW that he has this problem, you need to make it that much more of a priority to be SURE of his care - either by doing it yourself or being CERTAIN that the person YOU entrust is providing it. I know things happen, but once the BO starts delegating things out you need to step up and take the ownership for his care yourself rather than hoping for the best with others filling in the gaps - for just the reason that you saw play out. It's not always going to fit in with the schedule you would like to keep, but that is what comes with choosing to take on the responsibility of keeping a horse (or any other animal). Sometimes we have to prioritize and miss on the fun things in life to fulfill our obligations.
I also agree with kevin. I would be getting to the bottom of his condition.

This is the problem though. I did take care of his ownership and agreed with the BO not to bring him in and give him feed - just to leave him out. That is also what was told to the boarder.

WHY WAS HE BROUGHT IN WHEN THE BOARDER WAS TOLD NOT TO? THERE WAS NO REASON FOR HIM TO COME IN LAST NIGHT. IT WAS ALL TAKEN CARE OF ALREADY. THE BOARDER WENT AGAINST WHAT SHE WAS TOLD AND DID IT ANYWAY. THIS IS THE FIRST FAMILY EVENT THAT I HAVE GONE TO AROUND FEEDING TIME WHEN I'M SUPPOSED TO BE THERE - SUE ME. HIS CARE WAS ALREADY TAKEN CARE OF SO I WASN'T CONCERNED. THE BOARDER THAT BROUGHT HIM IN AND FED HIM DID NOT HAVE A REASON OR PERMISSION TO - SHE DID IT BECAUSE SHE DECIDED TO. NO ONE IS SUPPOSED TO TOUCH ANYONE ELSE'S HORSE WITHOUT PRIOR WRITTEN PERMISSION UNLESS YOU WORK THERE AND THERE ARE ONLY 3 OF US THAT WORK THERE. I AM SORRY THAT THE POINT OF THE FACT THAT MY HORSE WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE BROUGHT IN LAST NIGHT PER ME AND THE BO'S DECISION AND THE BOADER KNEW THAT IS BEING LOOKED OVER. OIL IN HIS FEED IS THE ONLY "SPECIAL" CARE THAT THE BO/FEEDERS (ME, MOM, AND ONE BOARDER THAT HELPS MOM) ARE TO DO WITH HIM. I TAKE CARE OF EVERYTHING ELSE.

Sorry for the caps, but I'm trying to get the point across that she had no reason to touch my horse last night, yet she did. That is the dilemna - not whether or not I care for him.