The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Weight of Trailer...? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/weight-trailer-55294/)

Red 05-17-2010 07:46 PM

Weight of Trailer...?

How much does the avergae 2 horse open trailer weigh? We're trying to get me a truck, because the necessitiy comes w having a horse. we just need to figure out how big of a truck....

Ridehorses99 05-18-2010 10:34 AM

Hey neighbor. I'm just down the road in Ft. Worth not far from Lake Worth.
Regarding trailers and weights, most 2 horse trailers will weigh between 2500 and 3500 pounds. A lot depends on whether it is steel or aluminum (aluminum is lighter), whether it is a stock trailer or solid sides, how large of a tack area the trailer has, what the overall length of the trailer is, and whether it is a gooseneck or bumper pull. You will definitely need a 1/2 ton truck with a V8 engine - don't even try to pull a 2 horse trailer with something smaller. My current truck is rated to to about 9,000 pounds but I don't want to push it past 6,500. Once you get air conditioning running and pulling up some of the hills we have around here, you want to have a little kick left in the engine.

Red 05-18-2010 11:21 AM

So I'm guessing a chevey silverado 1500 is completely out of the question? Wow you are really close!
Posted via Mobile Device

Red 05-18-2010 11:34 AM

Well I wanted a one horse but I don't see those anymore so I figured an open two horse was my next best option. I only have Red & I don't see me buying another horse until at least after college.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridehorses99 05-18-2010 03:03 PM

Actually, my last truck was a Silverado 1500LE and it pulled both my bumper pull (which was a steel Sundowner) and my 4Star 2H Gooseneck just fine. I now have a GMC Sierra with a little bigger engine and it pulls the 4Star (loaded with 2 horses) with absolutely no problems. As long as the engine in the Silverado is a V8 and the truck has a decent towing capacity, you should be fine with a 1500 series 1/2 ton.

Fowl Play 05-18-2010 03:10 PM

You can also buy computer chips for the 1/2 tons which increase towing capacity by adjusting the shift pattern. When you're not towing, it can increase the gas mileage by about 3 mpg. I believe the one for my husband's '08 Chevy 1/2 ton is about $500, which could probably be made up in gas mileage saved in one year.

RadHenry09 05-18-2010 05:57 PM

I have a question based on trailer weight/towing since the OP was kinda wondering the same thing.

I am interested in possibly purchasing a 2 horse bumper pull that weighs 2,500. It is mostly to haul one horse although I do have 2 horses so at some point I may want to haul both.
Would a Trailblazer be able to tow a bumper pull with one horse safely?
The towing capacity is 6400 lbs ...
The trailer has a small compartment for 2 saddles and additonal tack but it really is only big enough for the saddles.

Any insight would be helpful, I would guess it would be ok but I want to be sure.
We wouldnt be going over any large hills/mountains unless we would be hauling far distances. For now it would be to attend 4H events that are pretty local.

Ridehorses99 05-18-2010 06:25 PM

In my opinion, you would be fine for 1 horse. Two horses might be pushing it a little bit. I always add about 1100 pounds per horse and about 300 to 500 pounts for tack, water, hay, etc. For 2 horses, you would be up around the 5,000 to 5,500 pounds which is pushing it a little bit.

You should be OK on the wheel base since a Trail Blazer (I think) is the same chassis as an Silverado 1500.

maura 05-18-2010 06:28 PM

Much, much more important than the trailer weight is the wheel base of the trailer vs. wheel base of the truck, engine size of the truck, and details like heavier suspension, beefed up radiator and transmission oil cooler.

I agree with the other posters that a 1/2 ton with a V8 and a tow package can comfortably tow a standard two horse (though for *anything* larger I'd go with a 3/4 ton); as for the TrailBlazer, it depends on the engine size, what towing amenIties it has, and it's length vs. the trailer's length.

Concentrating on weighT alone can give you a false sense of security and get you into trouble pretty fast.

Fowl Play 05-18-2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadHenry09 (Post 637168)
I have a question based on trailer weight/towing since the OP was kinda wondering the same thing.

I am interested in possibly purchasing a 2 horse bumper pull that weighs 2,500. It is mostly to haul one horse although I do have 2 horses so at some point I may want to haul both.
Would a Trailblazer be able to tow a bumper pull with one horse safely?
The towing capacity is 6400 lbs ...
The trailer has a small compartment for 2 saddles and additonal tack but it really is only big enough for the saddles.

Any insight would be helpful, I would guess it would be ok but I want to be sure.
We wouldnt be going over any large hills/mountains unless we would be hauling far distances. For now it would be to attend 4H events that are pretty local.

I have an Envoy (GMC's version of the TB) and I've towed a few different things with mine, most recently 2 4x4 quads on a car trailer. It's a big workout. You could probably pull it off, but I think it would be a lot for the tranny and engine to do it regularly. If you have a V8 Trailblazer, it might be a little different though.