The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   APHA or AQHA? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/apha-aqha-55302/)

Junebug 05-17-2010 10:01 PM

APHA or AQHA?

Which one do you like/think is better?
Just want your opinions

I think the APHA is a great association,it has really nice people, very organized and have lots of shows! I love their PAC system. I wish they had performace halter :(

AQHA is a very structured association, i think the people are somewhat rude, its a bigger assciation, but has less shows, they do also have a wide varitey of classes and divisons.

nrhareiner 05-17-2010 10:38 PM

It depends on what you want to show and what breed you like. I like QH which are registered with AQHA. However I do not do a lot of breed shows. I show NRHA and NRCHA. I like the fact that AQHA tracks earnings in just about every discipline. I do not think APHA does that.

WSArabians 05-18-2010 12:14 AM

I guess your talking registeries, and not horses, huh?
Ah, well... I've never dealt with either personally, but I think both could use some re-vamping regarding their registration process to make it easier on everyone.

riccil0ve 05-18-2010 12:51 AM

Personally, I just want them both to get on top of this HYPP thing.

nrhareiner 05-18-2010 01:01 AM

Not sure how much easier AQHA could make resisting a foal. When the stallion owner sends in the stallion breeding report which can be done on line AQHA sends out a registration certificate which has all the info on it so all you have to do as a stallion owner is make sure it is correct and sign it and send it to the mare owner. Not much to that. Then all the mare owner has to do is fill in the date of foaling names they would like color and markings a few pictures and sing and send in. Not sure how much easier that can be and the cost is not at all bad. What $25.

If the foal was by shipped semen or an ET then you need DNA but again not hard. Not even that expensive.

Can not speak for APHA as I do not breed paints.

Cinnys Whinny 05-18-2010 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riccil0ve (Post 636565)
Personally, I just want them both to get on top of this HYPP thing.

I Think AQHA has. I was reading in their rule book that's online a few days ago and it actually states in their new rule book that ANY horse with Impressive in it's bloodline that is bred, or intended to be bred MUST be tested for the gene and will not be approved for breeding by AQHA unless it comes out neg. If a horse with Impressive lines is bred and not tested the offspring is ineligible for registration until a neg test is submitted. Also breeders who breed/accidentally breed a horse with the hypp gene are subject to loosing their breeder recognition and they will no longer register ANY horse they breed.

riccil0ve 05-18-2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny (Post 636738)
I Think AQHA has. I was reading in their rule book that's online a few days ago and it actually states in their new rule book that ANY horse with Impressive in it's bloodline that is bred, or intended to be bred MUST be tested for the gene and will not be approved for breeding by AQHA unless it comes out neg. If a horse with Impressive lines is bred and not tested the offspring is ineligible for registration until a neg test is submitted. Also breeders who breed/accidentally breed a horse with the hypp gene are subject to loosing their breeder recognition and they will no longer register ANY horse they breed.

Oh, that's good! I haven't looked into in in awhile, a few years, probably, lol. So I'm glad to hear it. =]

Speed Racer 05-18-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny (Post 636738)
I Think AQHA has. I was reading in their rule book that's online a few days ago and it actually states in their new rule book that ANY horse with Impressive in it's bloodline that is bred, or intended to be bred MUST be tested for the gene and will not be approved for breeding by AQHA unless it comes out neg.

That's good, but what about horses registered with the APHA that have Impressive bloodlines? Does anyone know if the APHA also adopted this ruling?

I know a Paint stallion who goes back to Impressive, and his owner insists on breeding him. I've told her more than once he shouldn't be breeding, and her best bet would be to geld him. So far, all my pleas have fallen on deaf ears.

She already has a Paint stallion with no ties to Impressive, so I don't know why she insists on keeping this particular horse intact. It's not like he has rare, in demand bloodlines.

I'm hoping if the APHA has the same rules as the AQHA, maybe she'll at least get the ****ed horse tested for HYPP!

Besides, Paint horses do not sell well in Virginia! She keeps breeding them and they sit in her pastures year after year, doing nothing. She also wants a ton of money for them, which is completely unrealistic. Gah! Makes me NUTS! :-x

It's affected our relationship because I can't condone breeding a known Impressive horse, nor can I condone breeding horses when there's no market for them.

somekindalexus 05-18-2010 11:43 AM

IMO, AQHA's people are a lot more friendly... but that also depends on where you show... The APHA people in the Seattle area were always very rude and thought they were better than everyone else. Same here in Indiana.
AQHA's have always been friendly, the association is organized, and I believe there is a higher level of competition.

riccil0ve 05-18-2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 636747)
It's affected our relationship because I can't condone breeding a known Impressive horse, nor can I condone breeding horses when there's no market for them.

If the horse is HYPP N/N, there is no reason why it shouldn't be bred. Besides the whole there's-no-market thing. o_O

And to the above, I'm in the Seattle area! I don't show, but my [Impressive] Paint mare did breed shows for a long time before I got her. She did great, but the previous owner said that Ricci was looked down on because she was a black and white. It gave me the feeling that the crowd, at least in the mid-90's, where pretty snooty. That didn't keep my horse from taking home all the blues though. =]