The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Question about english saddles (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/question-about-english-saddles-55312/)

justsambam08 05-17-2010 10:47 PM

Question about english saddles

Can you replace the billets on an English saddle?

There's a Crosby saddle in my tack room thats not very well taken care of, some mold and some dry leather, but the seat and the three billets on the right side are all intact. However, there is only 1 billet on the left, so obviously its not safe to ride in. I heard awhile ago (I'm talking almost 4 months) that the owner is trying to "get rid of it" but I don't know if that means giving it away, or selling it, or for how much. When I put it on Ice it seemed to fit him okay, I'd have to look at it again and see. If I were to obtain this saddle, would I be able to replace the billets? And would it be something that I could do myself?

JustDressageIt 05-17-2010 10:56 PM

Oh yes! Absolutely! Talk to your local tack store to see if they can recommend a saddle maker/repairman. Saddle fitters should also either do repairs or know of a reputable repairman.

Nutty Saddler 05-18-2010 02:34 PM

JustDressageIt is correct - any saddler can replace worn girth straps or attach new ones , it is quite a simple job if you know how, and normally only takes about an hour ( depending on saddle design )

Speed Racer 05-18-2010 02:38 PM

Yep, billet straps are definitely replaceable.

I have a 30 y/o saddleseat saddle that needed the billet straps on one side replaced. I went ahead and had both sides replaced.

Didn't take the repair person long, and was decently priced.

devildogtigress 05-18-2010 04:06 PM

YES! Billets are TOTALLY replaceable. In fact, my local saddler can replace billets and seat (but charges $600 to re-do the seat...not worth it for my $150 Crosby...duct tape will do the job, thank you! LOL It's just a schooling saddle, but does what it needs to do). But, as you said the seat is in good condition, great!

Tymer 05-19-2010 05:01 PM

Of course! I just got a synthetic saddle and I'm planning on getting leather billets as soon as the current ones break. The girth has a tendency to get stuck between broken layers of plastic- Very dangerous.

But you should tell the owner that they can, or take it for yourself and save a saddle.