The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   I HATE not being able to ride :( (rant) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/i-hate-not-being-able-ride-55333/)

Sketter 05-18-2010 12:27 PM

I HATE not being able to ride :( (rant)

Hey everyone,

So I had Knee sugery last Monday (PCL Reconstruction) and I'm really loosing my mind not being able to ride. I have a Ottb that I have been working with but had to put on hold for this stupid sugery. And I miss spending time with him and riding in general.
The Doc said I have to stay off for 6 MONTHS.. I almost cryed when I heard that. Now he told me that the issue is not actually riding its just thefact if I fall off again and managed to tear it.. soo I was thinking I could ride one of the school horses while I fully heal..(my mom said I was a bad girl if I don't follow the doctors orders:P). Now once I can walk and stand for longer then 10 minutes I will be out lunging hiim and everything I just can't ride him.. :(

Its really affecting me because other then work horses are the only other part of my life.. its just sooo frusterating.. anyway thanks for reading my rant

Kendra

themacpack 05-18-2010 12:37 PM

I understand that frustration. Sure, it's great to be able to have time to just "be" with the horses, but it's still not the same as being able to be up on them riding. I hope the recovery goes quickly and smoothly for you so you can be back in the saddle ASAP!

Sketter 05-18-2010 12:44 PM

Thanks themacpack, Its true being around them Is great but I need to be able to ride too :)!

JustDressageIt 05-18-2010 01:24 PM

I'm with ya.
I got kicked in the knee over a year ago, and had knee surgery in January. Between the kick and the surgery, I rode 5 times, once was just a 5 minute walk because it was too uncomfortable to stay on longer. I'm still in pain (it's been 4 months to the day today, actually) and we have no idea when I'll be allowed back in the saddle.
What's kept me sane? Photography. I bring my camera with me almost every time I go to the barn, and am extremely excited with the pictures I've brought home each time.
6 months will pass by really fast - it will suck, but at least you know you'll be getting back on then!

My2Geldings 05-18-2010 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sketter (Post 636870)
Hey everyone,

So I had Knee sugery last Monday (PCL Reconstruction) and I'm really loosing my mind not being able to ride. I have a Ottb that I have been working with but had to put on hold for this stupid sugery. And I miss spending time with him and riding in general.
The Doc said I have to stay off for 6 MONTHS.. I almost cryed when I heard that. Now he told me that the issue is not actually riding its just thefact if I fall off again and managed to tear it.. soo I was thinking I could ride one of the school horses while I fully heal..(my mom said I was a bad girl if I don't follow the doctors orders:P). Now once I can walk and stand for longer then 10 minutes I will be out lunging hiim and everything I just can't ride him.. :(

Its really affecting me because other then work horses are the only other part of my life.. its just sooo frusterating.. anyway thanks for reading my rant

Kendra

Take your time! try to enjoy that time off for yourself. Find a new hobby or something you enjoy doing at home, or something that is less physically demanding while you wait to fully heal. Nothing wrong with relaxing and taking a break. It's very temporary, where as re-injuring your injury will cause a very permanent problem.
I've undergone many BIG surgeries and reconstructions. 3 pelvic reconstructions which means I had to take a full 3 years off from riding. Then I also had 14 surgeries on my wrist, one of which where they actually removed my wrist and fuzed my upper arm. Needless to say, I had to take a LOT of time off.

Relax, be selfish and take care of yourself for a while. Try to focus on you, just YOU. It's time off well deserved.

CharliGirl 05-19-2010 12:31 PM

Eh, that is no fun! Maybe you could give driving a try since you can't ride.

Jessabel 05-19-2010 07:36 PM

At least you can still go and hang out with your horse. It could be worse. =)

I can go for months without riding and it doesn't bother me. As long as I can just be with my beasties, I'm groovin'. 8) Hope you're back on your feet and in the saddle soon!