The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Pros/Cons of English,Western, Aussie saddles? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/pros-cons-english-western-aussie-saddles-55337/)

Losthope236 05-18-2010 01:13 PM

Pros/Cons of English,Western, Aussie saddles?

I've been looking at all these different styles and can't find the one I like the best. The reason I'm looking for tack is just have some of my own especially when I start riding more frequently over the summer and the next few years. I'm going to go to college to get a degree in horse training and mangament so I'll need some and I ride a varity of horses anyway. I ride in both english and western and am pretty good in both though western is my favorite. What I'm looking for is a saddle that is for one thing fairly light, As I have some medical issues which would sometimes make lifting a heavy saddle on and off repeatedly impossible. It's stable and comfortable for long rides. And one that would be good for training/starting young horses since in the next few years thats what Im going to be dealing with the most. I was wondering what the pros and cons where of each and if there were any other styles out there.

kitten_Val 05-18-2010 02:10 PM

There are no pros and cons, they are just for different disciplines. I wouldn't jump in western saddle, and I wouldn't do cutting in english. I trail ride in both - english and western depending on horse/mood, I've seen horses broken in english saddle as well as western. It's all about what's comfortable for you and what discipline you want to focus on.

devildogtigress 05-18-2010 04:09 PM

Yes, what Kitten said. The other thing is, Aussies are kind of a hybrid between the two styles. I rode in an Aussie for a while and LOVE them. More secure than english for trail rides, but more comfortable than western for hubby and I. We both have knee issues, and the pannels on a western saddle stirrups just hurts us far too much. So, for trail riding, we prefer an aussie saddle. :-)

As to what type, it depends on your requirements.