The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Loose Manure (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/loose-manure-55338/)

RawhideKid 05-18-2010 02:24 PM

Loose Manure

Is loose manure, like cowpies...always a bad thing, or is it just a sign of a change of diet or what? Anyone with information concerning this would be appreciated. My horses are free-grazing, plus grain every couple days or so. Natural spring water from a stream.

themacpack 05-18-2010 02:31 PM

It really depends on the horse.
Our little Holly reacts to stress (and she can be a bit of a drama queen so her idea of "stress" is anything she doesn't like, lol) with loose poo. For her, I'm not usually too concerned unless it goes on for a length of time I am uncomfortable with or she shows other signs that concern me (going off feed, being listless, seeming off in any way). Our vet is in total agreement with this assessment.
Aero, on the other hand, would be more of a concern to me were this to start with her.

Has there been a change in their diet recently? Have you taken them anywhere out of the norm where they may have eaten something new/different? Are they acting off at all?

RawhideKid 05-18-2010 02:41 PM

No, she seems to be quite active and normal. They were moved from town to this ranch, so went from hay to free-graze.

Her stomach gurgles sometimes whe I'm riding her, but she doesn't act like anything is wrong. I going out now to see them and will be watching close.

Be back in a few hours.

riccil0ve 05-18-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themacpack (Post 636927)
It really depends on the horse.
Our little Holly reacts to stress (and she can be a bit of a drama queen so her idea of "stress" is anything she doesn't like, lol) with loose poo. For her, I'm not usually too concerned unless it goes on for a length of time I am uncomfortable with or she shows other signs that concern me (going off feed, being listless, seeming off in any way). Our vet is in total agreement with this assessment.
Aero, on the other hand, would be more of a concern to me were this to start with her.

Has there been a change in their diet recently? Have you taken them anywhere out of the norm where they may have eaten something new/different? Are they acting off at all?

Agreed. If your horse has ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS had solid poo, I'd be concerned. If your horse gets a bit of loose poo with every new bale of hay or bag of grain, I wouldn't be terribly concerned because it's normal for them. Just be on the lookout for any other signs; listlessness, glassy, unfocused eyes, lackluster coat, etc.

One concern for horses with loose poo is they seem to be more dehydrated, so make sure the horse is getting enough water by providing soaked grain to compensate.

EDIT: We posted at the same time. =P

It is very common for poo to change with diet, and I'm betting the extra grass is the reason. Perhaps adding a little more fiber, such as beet pulp. =]

Chella 05-18-2010 02:49 PM

I agree its the change of diet. If it continues and gets watery you could always give a round of a probiatic to put the good bacteria back in the intestines.

RawhideKid 05-18-2010 02:53 PM

Thanks, RiccilOve. I will be definitely keeping an eye on her. They have to go a little distance now to drink from the stream, so I'm thinking they probably just go for water a couple times a day. I don't know. I know that Grasshopper is used to such as she's been a range/herd horse a lot. But Gypsygirl could go through some adjustments.

Gotta go now or I'll never leave. Specially once the posters get so good looking! :wink: :oops: Later, and thanks again. :D

riccil0ve 05-18-2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RawhideKid (Post 636942)
Gotta go now or I'll never leave. Specially once the posters get so good looking! :wink: :oops: Later, and thanks again. :D

I hate to sound conceited, but, "Aww, shucks!" :oops:

RawhideKid 05-18-2010 03:02 PM

Thanks for your response. :-) I always worry about making such statements. You never know nowadays how people will take it. Whew! I can go in peace now! :? :lol:

I am very fun-loving and affectionate...even with people! Ha! Later.

RawhideKid 05-18-2010 03:10 PM

I guess I inherited that part of my Dad's nature as well. I don't think he EVER passed up a chance to have a light-hearted flirt with the ladies! But a gentleman all the way. One of the last of the true blue cowboys! ...born a hundred years too late! :lol:

Now I REALLY gotta go! I was in the truck and had to come in and jot down this last thought. What a guy!!! :-|

riccil0ve 05-19-2010 12:42 AM

Haha, it's okay. It actually made my day. =]