The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Can horses get dandruff? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/can-horses-get-dandruff-55345/)

ShannonSevenfold 05-18-2010 03:39 PM

Can horses get dandruff?

My mare is all shed out now except for her legs. I can't keep up with the hair. I brush and brush and curry and curry and it's still there. The winter fur won't stop coming out. And now she has this white flaky...stuff in the long hair on her lower legs. It looks exactly like dandruff. Someone at the barn suggested it could be something fungal. Or is it really just dandruff due to dirt and such that is caught in the longer hair? Opinions?

Sunny 05-18-2010 04:06 PM

Never seen it on the legs, but my filly gets it on her crest, so yes, they can deff. have dandruff.
Posted via Mobile Device

koobean 05-19-2010 02:03 PM

it could be a type of mite thats making her fur fall out.. every year in spring our horses get it unless we give them an injection which actually prevents mange. we do that every year in the beginning of spring now and theyre fine. so just ask for a mange injection at a vet (or even some chemists) and she should be fine! washing her with antifungal shampoo will also help a lot! hope she gets her fur back soon!

aforred 05-20-2010 01:18 AM

Okay, I just learned a lot. Learn to Identify Horse Skin Problems

This article is very informative.

ridergirl23 05-20-2010 01:25 AM

my horse has had dandruff on her legs, I just scrubbed her legs really well with shampoo and stuff and all the hair and dandruff went away, sometimes they're skin is just dry aswell :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Valentina 05-20-2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koobean (Post 637870)
it could be a type of mite thats making her fur fall out.. every year in spring our horses get it unless we give them an injection which actually prevents mange. we do that every year in the beginning of spring now and theyre fine. so just ask for a mange injection at a vet (or even some chemists) and she should be fine! washing her with antifungal shampoo will also help a lot! hope she gets her fur back soon!

Agree with washing it with an antifungal shampoo - my SWB mare gets it on her (black) legs every year. Maker certain you wash and curry/brush that gets into contact with that area as you don't want to spread it to other parts of the horses body or to other horses.