The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Protection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/)
-   -   Freeze Brands? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/freeze-brands-55357/)

hillarymorganstovall 05-18-2010 05:51 PM

Freeze Brands?

All these recent horse-nappings have me wanting to brand my horses... I want to have them freeze branded, but I don't know anything about registry, choosing one or how to read them....

Do you have to choose your own, or do they like assign you one at the registry place? Its probably is stupid, but I would rather have a cute one. Not the kind with all the backwards letters and circles... :lol:

Also, does the brand have to be registered to me, or could I just use it as an identifying feature? And how does it work with white or grey horses?

I just don't know anything about them or anything, and was just curious!!

Speed Racer 05-18-2010 06:22 PM

First, is your horse a registered breed?

If it is, then contact your registry about freeze branding and ask if they have a preferred methodology.

It used to be very big in the Arabian world, but not so much nowadays. My now deceased gelding was freeze branded, and it consisted of an upright 'A' (for purebred) with his registration number in Arabic numerals. Half Arabians had a sideways 'A' and their registration number in Arabic numerals.

Freeze branding is generally their registration number with some sort of other designation, usually for breed.

The hair grows back a different color than the coat, but even if it doesn't, when you get them wet the freeze brand will show up. This is useful information for grey horses, since their brands don't always grow back a different color.

hillarymorganstovall 05-18-2010 06:31 PM

My horse is not a registered... I'm mostly only looking into it as an identifying mark if she is stolen or gets out...

That's cool about the water thing....

Speed Racer 05-18-2010 06:42 PM

Well, all isn't lost if the horse isn't registered.

You can contact any number of freeze branding places and they can give you an idea of the types of brands they have. The easiest is a simple alpha-numeric one, although you can also use symbols.

The brand will need to be registered with your state's livestock agency, in order for them to have a record of it should something happen to your horse.

kevinshorses 05-18-2010 07:17 PM

Here in the west we have an agency in each state that deals with brands I don't know if you have one in Missisippi. You can pick your own but it can't be the same brand in the same place as anyone else in the state. It usually has to be alpha/numeric (you can't put a hello kitty brand on your horse). Any place that makes freeze brands can make anything you want. Your horse doesn't have to be registered but your brand will have to be. When you go to choosing a brand you want one that is open and simple. It is being applied to a live animal that has a tendency to move at the worst possible time. Also if it gets too cold (or too hot with a hot iron) the brand will blotch and not look right. A's are usually made without the line through the middle so that it looks like this ^. Stay away from B's P's R's G's Q's. It is hard to make them clear and look good and still be small.

hillarymorganstovall 05-18-2010 10:26 PM

Alright... Thanks for yalls help :D

wyominggrandma 05-19-2010 12:21 AM

We had horses freeze branded years ago using the registered brand of an outfitter friend. Just had them write a paper that the horses were ours. Never had a problem with brand inspections or anything, even though the brand was not ours. One was a Paint mare, the brand was on her white parts and showed up just fine.

Two of our current horses are freeze branded, the one that isn't is the Paint we rescued and he got such a horrific cut last summer, he will always carry that scar. Since we took before and after photos of it, I figure if there was ever a question, we would have proof.
I was wondering though, how many folks have their horses microchipped? I would think that would be a good way of identifying your horse if stolen, after all nobody could alter a chip. Wonder if that would work?

kevinshorses 05-19-2010 12:59 AM

Chips migrate and they are hard to find in a dog much less an animal as large as a horse. Brands can't be removed but a chip can be if it can be found.

wyominggrandma 05-19-2010 02:03 AM

Well, in all the years I have put chips in dogs, I have never had one migrate,even years later the chip is within 1/2 inch of the original insert point. I think alot of it depends on how it is put into the skin/muscle over the withers.
I know folks who have chipped their horses, and they are happy with them
It was just a thought.

Speed Racer 05-19-2010 10:41 AM

Wyoming, it's my understanding that unless someone has the proper scanning equipment, a microchip is useless.

I don't know for certain, but I'd bet most auctions and slaughter houses don't have the scanners.

People won't automatically scan for a chip, but a brand is visible and easily identified.

I think for dogs, microchips are very useful. Until we get a better system set up for horses I don't see any reason to chip mine.