The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   my dads horse fell into a cattle grid!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/my-dads-horse-fell-into-cattle-55417/)

koobean 05-19-2010 12:17 PM

my dads horse fell into a cattle grid!!!

4 Attachment(s)
Hi there,

My dads horse recently fell into a cattle grid. She is so badly wounded and we live in a very remote area where the vets arent really horse qualified; they mainly work with cattle. We are cleaning and rebandaging her twice a day and she is getting Bute and penecillan. The swelling has gone doem a bit since the pictures but obviously she is still in a critical condition.

I'm looking for any advice at all on what we can do to help her? homeopathic and natural remedies in particular. what extras can we put in her food? etc.

Thank you so much, I will really appreciate any help at all!

LoveMyDrummerBoy 05-19-2010 12:18 PM

Is that the bone in the first and last photo?

HowClever 05-19-2010 12:19 PM

holy!! find a vet that can treat her! That is just begging for a major infection.

Cowgirl140ty 05-19-2010 12:19 PM

Wow. Poor horse. The best thing in the world... mix iodine with sugar... to where it is like peanut butter texture. And pack the wounds with it. Hopefully she makes it out of this situation well.

koobean 05-19-2010 12:23 PM

yes that is her bone :( the worst part is that im not there to help my dad with it and he's only been around horses for two years.

really? suger and iodine? does it have to be special suger? or just normal shop suger??

LoveMyDrummerBoy 05-19-2010 12:25 PM

get a qualified vet out. That is going to get worse and worse and more and more painful for her.

HowClever 05-19-2010 12:28 PM

I just looked at the photos again, and I have to reiterate. Please get a vet. The chances of that horse healing without a vet's attention are not good. I'm not even sure they are good with a vet's attention. But if that is not seen and tended by a vet she is going to be in a lot of pain and will get very very sick.

koobean 05-19-2010 12:28 PM

we have had advice from a vet and sent him pictures and he says there isnt anything he can do about it because there's no skin to stitch up..?

koobean 05-19-2010 12:30 PM

we know she'll never be able to be ridden again, we're content to just let her have an early retirement and be our garden lawnmower, so we just want her to be healed..

Cowgirl140ty 05-19-2010 12:33 PM

Just normal sugar you cook with. Im not making promises... cause that is a really really bad wound. But if their is no vet and your trying on your own.... thats what I use on all my wounds. Pack it and wrap it...