The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Shoes for Bareback. What do you wear? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/shoes-bareback-what-do-you-wear-55486/)

SorrelHorse 05-20-2010 11:41 AM

Shoes for Bareback. What do you wear?

Heyhey :D

So when I go over to Toni's place she makes a lot of people ride bareback for balance and muscle toning. I've seen people ride bareback in everything from barefeet to steel-toed boots and high heels. Just curious to know your opinions.

I personally think you should ride with boots all the time, bareback or not. Just because there's no stirrups doesn't mean they can't step on you. However, I am guilty of riding bareback in tennis shoes and converse if I'm feeling lazy. Hey, I'm not good at following my own advice. :D

Opinions?

kmacdougall 05-20-2010 12:15 PM

Well usually if I'm riding bareback I've probably just finished stalls and whatnot so I'm usually wearing cowboy boots because they're the most comfortable thing I own!
Sometimes I even ride in cowboy boots (don't tell anyone, I look a little ridiculous in my close contact jumping saddle in cowboy boots hahah)
They're comfortable and great footwear for riding.

kmdstar 05-20-2010 12:24 PM

I've ridden bareback barefoot, in crocs, etc but it's not something I'd suggest to anyone else, LOL. Especially for someone new to bareback, I'd say wear what you would if you were riding in a saddle.

StormyBlues 05-20-2010 12:55 PM

Whatevers on my feet when I feel like galloping Blue!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

IheartPheobe 05-20-2010 01:48 PM

converse are fine for riding if you're foot doesn't slip through the stirrup a lot.. haha my friend courtney rides in them all the time & it doesn't faze her position at all. i'm around my horses in converse almost every day.
i usually go bareback in my boots because i'll usually warm up in my saddle & then take it off later on :)

roro 05-20-2010 10:52 PM

I'm either in paddock boots or tall boots. The heel on riding boots allows for a better leg aid.

equiniphile 05-20-2010 10:55 PM

Usually, I try to wear my cowboy boots. If I just got done cleaning stalls or something though, I'll wear my mucking boots (rubber waterproof tall ones)

ThatNinjaHorse 05-20-2010 10:58 PM

There are people riding in HEELS? :shock:

Wallaby 05-20-2010 11:11 PM

Most of the time I wear my generic riding shoes but sometimes when I'm feeling lazy (or when I can't stay at the barn for very long) I just wear my converse. It always makes me feel kinda cool and indy to be wearing high-tops while riding a horse. :lol:

lilkitty90 05-20-2010 11:15 PM

i don't own proper boots. so sometimes i even ride barefoot in a saddle. i ride in Tennis shoes or my little water proof snow boots lol or barefoot if it's hot. i guess i'm lazy everyday lol