The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   How can I learn to trim hooves? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/how-can-i-learn-trim-hooves-55502/)

GoldSahara 05-20-2010 02:52 PM

How can I learn to trim hooves?

I have been curious in seeing how difficult it would be for me to learn to trim my own horses hooves. I leave them barefoot and natural, so only the basic trim is necessary. Should I take a class or can I do it from videos and books? Just curious to see what you all thought and any suggestions of good reference material.

BFFofHorses 05-20-2010 03:00 PM

There are two great books by Pete Ramey and Jaimie Johnson (or Jackson, not sure???) My dad is a barefoot trimmer and their books really focus on technique. They both have videos. You could probably google their names and find some help. Also, consider seeking out some trimmers in your area, that would be willing to help.

Clementine 05-20-2010 06:44 PM

There is so much to know about trimming hooves - books and videos probably won't cut it - go take a class, watch the pros do it, and maybe even see if one would let you tag along and be his/her assistant in exchange for mentoring.

aforred 05-20-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clementine (Post 639333)
There is so much to know about trimming hooves - books and videos probably won't cut it - go take a class, watch the pros do it, and maybe even see if one would let you tag along and be his/her assistant in exchange for mentoring.

A friend of mine went this route. He is an older teenager, and he was learning from the farrier before he could drive. He's done some of my horses and he's pretty good.

I think that working on many different horses under someone competent (not only as a farrier, but as a teacher, too) would be the way to go.

Will you let us know what you decide?

GoldSahara 05-20-2010 10:26 PM

I am thinking at this point that I will probably eventually get the tools and bug my farrier for some tips and lessons and see what kind of classes are available in the area. I know it will take some time, and as I only have two horses, if I don't practice on more horses it will take even longer. I know that if I end up staying a horse owner for life (which is highly probable), it would save a lot of money and headache in the long run.