The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   best pads for western? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/best-pads-western-55538/)

sheephorse 05-21-2010 01:29 AM

best pads for western?

So I just switched to western and am wondering what kind of pad to use, ive seen people use those navajo blanket things and gel pads and neoprene, I dont know what to use :shock: One I was looking at are the skito pads with the movable shims not sure if I really need a pad with shimming though.

Pro 05-21-2010 01:31 AM

5 star

justsambam08 05-21-2010 10:53 AM

Go to your local tack store and ask for advice.

I also have a 30x30 western pad for sale, if you can't find one cheap and new xD

kslive4myhorse 05-21-2010 12:10 PM

I have the SMX Air Ride Pads and I love them. They are a little pricey but they still look brand new and they are the same thing but a little cheaper than the actual Air Ride pads. I think they are made by Professionals Choice

CharliGirl 05-21-2010 12:19 PM

I've yet to find a saddle pad that I REALLY like. I have a wool felt cinch for one of my horses and it is a pain to clean, so I have never used a wool pad. I have a memory foam pad, but it is kind of slippery and doesn't offer much impact protection or support. Right now I am using a synthetic fleece covered felt pad, and it's not my favorite either--it is so hard and stiff (maybe because it isn't fully broken in yet?).

I would really love to get a few White Eagle saddle pads for my horses, but those are really expensive.

Saddle Pads By White Eagle Saddle Pad Company

Valley vet used to carry them for $80 a few years back. I am really kicking myself for not buying a few!

Here are a few saddle pad articles I found to be helpful:

Saddle Pads and What Manufactuers Don't Tell You!

Behind the Bit: What to look for in a saddle pad

sheephorse 05-21-2010 12:21 PM

I'll take a look at some of those where I live I dont have a local tack store just a feed store that doesn't carry tack

Cowgirl140ty 05-21-2010 12:36 PM

These are my fave pads. I have a horse who is very very hard to fit a saddle. And this pad does great on him. Along with my other horses who are rolly pollys.
classic equine esp saddle pads - Google Product Search

aforred 05-21-2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowgirl140ty (Post 639890)
These are my fave pads. I have a horse who is very very hard to fit a saddle. And this pad does great on him. Along with my other horses who are rolly pollys.
classic equine esp saddle pads - Google Product Search

I like these, too. The Pro Choice fleece pads are nice, as are the Cutter's Collection (I think that's what they're called). I would suggest buying the best pad you can afford, because if you take care of them, they last for a good long time.

I read some product reviews on the Air Ride pads that said the air ride part breaks down too fast, but I have no firsthand knowledge of this. (Didn't buy the pad based on those reviews.)

I have one felt pad that is vented along the spine, but it's still not my favorite.

The exact right pad for you will be somewhat influenced by what kind of riding you plan to do. As an example, if the pad needs to fit under a show saddle, you will want a larger pad than you need for a barrel saddle.

Please let us know what you decide on and how you like it.
Posted via Mobile Device

kitten_Val 05-21-2010 03:21 PM

I have Reinsman pad and use it on trails for couple years already. Nice quality, especially after all those really cheap ones I used to go for for while. :-) I also used SMX pads on cutting horses and those look like nice pads too (costly though).

Delfina 05-21-2010 03:24 PM

I have a couple of the Reinsman pads as well and really like them. They are somewhat pricey but good quality.